Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I was pulling th targa out of the trunk and the trunk slams down before I can get it all the way out and leaves an annoying dent/scratch on the front facing top of the targa. It didn't break all the way through, and honestly I thought the material was stronger than this, but do I need to replace the whole top, or can it just be repaired when I paint the car?

Thanks guys. And btw I'll post a pic if I need when I have access to my digicam on Sunday, but the damage seems minimal, just curious.

· Registered
1,496 Posts
Yes, it can most likely be repaired.

The sheetmetal on our cars is alot heavier than that on most cars these days, but the same goes for our hatch. Not to mention that everything's got it's weak points.

· Registered
517 Posts
done worst... after preping my old targa top to be painted I left in my lifted grand cherokee. I came back a few hours later running over something in the drive way... well yeah turns out for some reason I thought it'd be smart to leave it sitting in the middle of drive way. It had the fattest dent down the middle of it not to meantion HUGE tire track marks on the fresh primer. Luckily I had a spare ;)

· 239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,943 Posts
bondo!!!................. it works.. haha

· Banned
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks guys. I was just wondering what the best solution would be whether to buy another one or try to repair this one. Didn't realize it was that fragile a piece.

· Registered
3,965 Posts
the targa seems to be made out of thinner steel than the rest of the body

I got an annoying crease in mine that I doubt can be repaired...

· Registered
6,153 Posts
I picked up a spare, for that "just in case day." It's that deep-plum color on the outside and brown underneath.

Figured that when I get the car repainted black, I'll prep/paint that too. Besides these type of accidents (which we all do to ourselves) aren't the only things to look out for. Here in Texas, we have enuff hailstorms to keep you worried during certain parts of the year. Gonna get the Fiance's MKIV a spare one too.

You'll have to remove the siderails/interior trim and see what you can do. It's not totally accessible from the underside (because of the reinforcement layer of metal), but you can try... Good luck!

· Banned
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, I'll just pay a professional to do it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.