Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Torturing a W58...
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Next weekend I'll be installing my HPF Bronze clutch with a sprung Act pressure plate. My car will be NA-T (actually 1/2 way through the install right now....waiting for some parts, so I'm doing this in the mean time) at ~400RWHP. I might do some HPDE's with the car, but won't be drag racing it and it will be used mostly on the street. Just a couple questions:

-Flywheel: Fidanza light-weight flywheel or stock? I'm not too concerned about chatter while engaging the clutch - I've driven cars w/ low weight flywheels before and have always adjusted to them well. From what I've read, however (searched through every thread), the aluminum flywheel makes the clutch prone to overheating because it can't absorb as much heat as the factory unit. Is this just a problem with frequent launching, or even with just one or two hard launches? Also, does the W58 chatter in neutral like the V160? I love the feel of a lightweight flywheel, but not if it means I'm going to be tearing through clutches every 5K miles, or the car is going to sound like a truck while sitting at a stoplight as some of the V160 guys report.

-Other: I'm going to pick up a throwout bearing and pilot from Toyota. What else do I need? Do I need a spline tool? Flywheel bolts - factory, or ARP? Anything else I'm missing? Have yet to do a clutch in this car, but I've swapped the tranny and clutch in my Camaro 4 or 5 times (though this was about 6 or 7 years ago, so I'm a bit rusty:eek:)

Also, found this in my search:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/techarticles/clutchinstall/clutchreplacement.html

Much difference between this and the W58?

·
Torturing a W58...
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Youll want the alignment tool and new flywheel bolts factory seems fine. I have a 6 puck in my w58 right now fairly quiet idleing.
What do you have for a flywheel? It's the flywheel that has the potential to make it chatter at idle, not the clutch.

Do you know how many spline the alignment tool is? I'd rather pick this up from Napa/Autozone as opposed to Toyota where it's most likely a $100 tool.

·
Registered
582 Posts
check out driftmotion.com they have one for $289
"Competition Clutch W58 Flywheel for JZ Engines. This is a forged steel ultra-lightweight flywheel for 1JZ and 2JZ engines using a W58 transmission. It is the lightest version available at only 10 LBS! We installed this flywheel on a 2JZ-GE SC300 at our shop with our Action Stage3 clutch, and it was a GREAT setup, very easy to drive."

i overheated my stock flywheel at a track day, was unable to shift till it got cooled down. wish driftmotion had this flywheel when i was looking. i bought a jun flywheel and am happy with it, but the driftmotion flywheel is almost half what i paid and 1 pound lighter.

also the arp flywheel bolts are cheaper than the oem toyota bolts. i think i got them from horsepowerfreaks.

·
Torturing a W58...
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check out driftmotion.com they have one for $289
"Competition Clutch W58 Flywheel for JZ Engines. This is a forged steel ultra-lightweight flywheel for 1JZ and 2JZ engines using a W58 transmission. It is the lightest version available at only 10 LBS! We installed this flywheel on a 2JZ-GE SC300 at our shop with our Action Stage3 clutch, and it was a GREAT setup, very easy to drive."

i overheated my stock flywheel at a track day, was unable to shift till it got cooled down. wish driftmotion had this flywheel when i was looking. i bought a jun flywheel and am happy with it, but the driftmotion flywheel is almost half what i paid and 1 pound lighter.

also the arp flywheel bolts are cheaper than the oem toyota bolts. i think i got them from horsepowerfreaks.
gfallon - thanks for the input. However, are you sure that you overheated the flywheel, or the clutch? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe over-heating your flywheel is a problem until you warp the flywheel (in which case, a flywheel with more mass would be less likely to over-heat than a lighter flywheel). Being that it is physically impossible for the flywheel to get any hotter than the clutch, I'm thinking that your problem is that the you did several back-to-back launches (or, slipped the hell out of the clutch on a few) and the mass of the flywheel stored the heat.... and then you had to wait for a pretty long period of time for that heavy, steel (not the best heat conductor) flywheel to cool. Had you had a lightweight aluminum flywheel, it would have definitely cooled more quickly. However, it would have heated up much more quickly too. Think of the extra mass as a capacitor, buffer, or "radiator" of sorts. The bigger it is (not physically...larger in mass, or in the case of a radiator, the more fluid it can hold), the more energy (heat) you have to dump into it to heat it up.

I'm thinking driftmotion's competition clutch would be the worst case scenario. Extremely low mass (low storage capacity), and steel (very poor heat conductivity in comparison to aluminum) would mean that it would heat up extremely quickly and would take longer to cool than a comparable aluminum unit.

How does your W58 sound with the light-weight flywheel? Any chatter/noise from the tranny when you're idling in Neutral (with the clutch released, of course).

·
Registered
582 Posts
i have my stock flywheel up for sale if you want to go that direction. i had my machine shop work there magic on it, it is perfect and ready to go

·
Registered
582 Posts
you may be right, i actuality had a few things that went wrong at the same time, the flywheel did turn colors but was not warped at all.
i have the rps max clutch now with an oem type disc, with the jun flywheel i have no noise at all sounds like stock. the jun flywheel does look like the stock flywheel just weighs 11lbs

·
Torturing a W58...
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you may be right, i actuality had a few things that went wrong at the same time, the flywheel did turn colors but was not warped at all.
i have the rps max clutch now with an oem type disc, with the jun flywheel i have no noise at all sounds like stock. the jun flywheel does look like the stock flywheel just weighs 11lbs
Cool - that's the feedback I was looking for. A lot of the V160 guys note that the elimination of the factory dual-mass flywheel on their cars creates a chatter at idle when in neutral. Haven't heard any reports from the W58 guys - notes of "chatter", but from what I could tell it was only relevant when disengaging the clutch (an issued I've never had a problem "driving around").

·
Registered
642 Posts
W58 fidanza is silent at idle, but there is clutch disc noise upon engagement depending what aggressive material is used in the disc.

For the W58 I used OEM bolts.

Some of the cranks have holes that go all the way through which can allow oil in the pan to work its way through the threads to the clutch so make sure you use a sealant.

I had a transmission man inspect/reseal my W58 before the install for extra peace of mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts