1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I could be wrong but it almost looks as if there is a slight crack in the 1st picture of the porting on the right hand side.....hmmmm....must be the shadows from the picture

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
huffer said:
I could be wrong but it almost looks as if there is a slight crack in the 1st picture of the porting on the right hand side.....hmmmm....must be the shadows from the picture
it's the casting line from toyoyta. I didn't change the port dimensions too much so i didn't dig into the walls too hard.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ToMuchBoost said:
Now the only thing you need to do is some polishing
Intakes ports aren't supposed to be polished. I'll polish up the exhaust ports a little more than the intake and the bowl will get a mirror finish.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NYC 93-2JZGTE said:
wow! looking good brian. i didnt know you could get surgical with a headlike that :D [/QUOTE

Thanks eric! I can't wait to get her up an running again. I heard your fuel system is going in this weekend. Let me know if you need help. :)

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Looking great man!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
0wned said:
I've always wanted to do this...hmm anyone have any good tutorials? It would be awesome if someone could post up a good tech article on how to port/polish.

Great work btw!
I will do a writeup after i am done with this project. Hopefully i will be able to give some good tips that might help somone out.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I just finished the intake side of the head. Tell me what you think. Is anything wrong with it?

I finished up by port matching to the gasket and then washed the head for the first time with some brake cleaner.

BEFORE

AFTER

I wonder what it will flow?:)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jaxx said:
slap her on and tell us how she flows....

How long did this take?
Took ~6-8 hours. I just did a little each time whenever i had some free time. I am going to start the exhaust ports tomorrow. Hopefully i will have them done by the end of the week.

·
MKIV owner since 1996
2,869 Posts
One thing I've seen guys do before starting.. they install the gasket like you have pictured, then trace it with a felt tip marker.. this way they dont cut into the gasket area.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AdamGamz said:
One thing I've seen guys do before starting.. they install the gasket like you have pictured, then trace it with a felt tip marker.. this way they dont cut into the gasket area.
yea that's a good tip. I didn't have to go that route. We had black exhaust marks where she didn't line up but the marker will work well.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok i pretty much finished up one exhaust port. Tomorrow i will clean it up once more to make sure i get any remaining flaws out as can be seen in the pics. I took the exhaust ports out to 180 grit. Is that far enough? The exhaust ports by far are the hardest to do. I recommend doing this outside on a bright day with a flourescent light. It's so hard to see what you are doing. The ports are much smaller than the intake side. I am going to install new valve guides. With the guides out of the way the job will be much easier. The head has 8x,xxx on it so i figure i might as well pop new guides in and grab the added bonus of being able to clean up the port a little better. Here are some snap shots of the job,

The factory ports are way off from the gasket. The two ports on the right are untouched. The one on the left is matched pretty well now.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Another thing you can do to is grind alot of the meat away from the valve stem bosses, and then smooth the transition. There's also a ridge behind the valve seat, but it looks like you've smoothed that down as well. Have her flowed and see how she does. Looks good.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts