Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
The main point is just to exchange the fluid.
If IGGYWOOWOO had used ps fluid to flush his system I'm sure that the results would have been the same.
I like that ps fluid doesn't foam up so much making it faster to use which is why I reccomend it.
I had already mentioned that toyota says to use ATF dexeron II ,
if you went to a toyota dealer they would sell you maybe castrol ps fluid or something because toyota doesn't have a Ps fluid for dealership retail sale, only ATF.
Once again the owners manual and the cap say to use dexeronII, but when the car is brand new it comes with PS fluid in it.
The power steering is just like the engine, you shouldn't wait until it starts to make noise and then change the oil.

Same can be said for any fluid in the vehicle. They all need to be changed from time to time

Ishii

G

·
Hey guys i had the whining problem in my 95 tt it is not the fluid but a very fine filter at the bottom of the tank which get clog over the years causing a lack of fluid to the pump. I used either fluids and they work ok.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Brandon, thanks for the tip :)

Hope your trip to Austin was fun over the weekend.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When flushing the system, with the top hose off the reservoir and into a jug, how fast will the power steering pump suck from the reservoir when you start the car with the steering wheel stable and when the steering wheel is being turned locked left and right? Just trying to prepare myself so I don’t dry up the pump.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
a lot of good info here... thanks for all those that posted :) I guess i should change it soon (ive never done it.. but im changing my radiator fluid now)

·
4 T's and an X
2,126 Posts
The new Sienna's are replacing the power steering hoses in a TSB. The fluid they replace it with is Dexron III Part # 00718-ATF00.

·
11,221 Posts
Supradedupra said:
a lot of good info here... thanks for all those that posted :) I guess i should change it soon (ive never done it.. but im changing my radiator fluid now)

^ what he said.

I've always wondered how you change the power steering fluid. Also the tranny fluid, that's the first time I've heard that; using tranny fluid to steer. Curt recommends using Castrol.

Anyways, can someone give the steps of flushing the power steering. Also approx how many quarts should I buy? I guess I want to flush it good, but not waste money. I never done it before, and don't want it to be messy.

I'm in the process of flushing my coolant, and I'm still flushing it now. Right now the car is running on pure tap water until I can get all the old green shit out.

·
11,221 Posts
^ can someone PLEASE do like a mini guide on how to flush the ps? I'm sure it's not that hard once I do the old trial&error. I just don't want to have fluids all over the engine and shit...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
A quart of mercon dexron III of castrol synthetic ATF did the job for me.

Remove the upper hose on the PS reservoir and turn the steering wheel from locking position to locking position. Repeat that step untill all the fluid comes out. Then refill it and bleed it. Turn the wheel from one end to the other and hold it for a second or two, then just watch how much fluid you have and see if you keep on getting bubbles in the reservoir.

Check your fluid level and clean up after wards.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Geez i feel like a moron.I just flushed and put in new PS fluid in the car because I've been having a noisy pump for a week or so and I could'nt figure it out. I cant believe the answer was right on the cap. thanks guys. Where is this filter again (specifically).

BTW- a simple how to would'nt hurt , b/c not all of us got the owners manuals with the purchase of our voluptuous MKIV's (points finger at himself)

-John

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
i put regular power steering fluid in my car the other day power steering still feels just as good and yes it was completly empty when i put it in

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yea i never had a owner's manual when i bought my mkIV. i didn't even know there was a filter on the ps pump, let alone what fliud to fill it with. at least we know how to flush it but what about this filter?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Mystery said:
Yea i never had a owner's manual when i bought my mkIV. i didn't even know there was a filter on the ps pump, let alone what fliud to fill it with. at least we know how to flush it but what about this filter?
There is a filter on the PS pump? Where? Does it ever need to be cleaned or replaced?

21 - 40 of 80 Posts