Supra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
PS fluid and ATF are the same thing, are they not?
no, there is a slight difference and that difference is enough for most toyota ps pumps to work badly.

mines leaking kinda bad ive added reg ps fluid over the years could this be my problem? i whines as well.
for the leaking? prob not.
for the whining? prob not since its leaking causing air bubles to enter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
sorry to ask this stupid question but im still totally confused on how to flush out the PS fluid. BTW this is on an NA:

how do i unbolt this to get to the screen and which hose do i pull to drain out the fluid?

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread up but Iggy, was this where you had that strange leak on top?
Apologies for the weird photo, it's one I found online and tried to draw an arrow under the neck. I seem to be having quite the prolific leak right at the base of this flange area.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
When you pull that flange off, you'll see the o ring that you can replace. I noticed a leak there a while back and the new o ring from Toyota fixed it.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,398 Posts
No one know anything about this?
If you need the fluid, just order it from Curt at Elmhurst Toyota here, who knows if that shell would be compatible. I know Castrol makes a specific fluid made for import vehicles, but to be safe just order a quart from Toyota for $5.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The Shell Spirex S5 meets the Dexron IIIH standard so should be fine in your power steering. Dexron IIIH is the current standard of Dexron ATF fluids. Mobil1 ATF is certified to meet the Dexron IIIH as well.
The Supra power steering system calls for Dexron II which is no longer available. Dexron III is backward compatible.
What do you dudes think of:
Shell Spirax S5 ATF X

I cannot find thee others you mention here in my city, so i will try this from shell.. any one try it before?

·
Inline for the win
4,764 Posts
Use castrol transmax atf import!

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Is it safe to use Dexron IV? It is a bit hard to find Dexron III anymore.
I've seen so many people from Austin lately!

Anyways, the manual calls for DEXRON II or III, but I believe DEXRON is (supposedly) "backwards compatible", so IV should work. But I'll let others chime in.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
I thought some people with clean racks and pumps can use power steering fluid, you just cannot mix Dextron with Powersteering fluid.

I remember seeing a few members who use powersteering fluid in the past, is all.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
got my reservoir replaced past weekend as expected pump is louder than a train horn. Going to flush and see what happens.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Old thread bump! I’m planning on flushing my power steering with Toyota ATF, but there’s currently power steering fluid in there. Will it be okay for me to switch over from power steering fluid to ATF as long as I flush the system very well? I’m planning on using ATF Type T-IV as I have a lot of it laying around from my auto trans day’s.

·
Hardtop Crew
6,399 Posts
Old thread bump! I’m planning on flushing my power steering with Toyota ATF, but there’s currently power steering fluid in there. Will it be okay for me to switch over from power steering fluid to ATF as long as I flush the system very well? I’m planning on using ATF Type T-IV as I have a lot of it laying around from my auto trans day’s.
This thread was from 2007 but i read all the posts. Seems like you should be fine as long as you the correct fluid. From what i read you can use dex vi fluid as per the caps since dex2-3 have been superseded

·
Inline for the win
4,764 Posts
Its supposed to be ATF from for power steering fluid. Just don't use power steering or brake fluid.

I know its weird kinda of like ATF in a manual transmission. Many manual transmissions use ATF vs gear oil/MTF fluild.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts