Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just ran into this young guy. That has a 90 Twin Turbo Z. He's out of money and is needing to sell the car badly. He blew his engine from running through a puddle in the Rain, and his Ram Air Intake sucked up a bunch of water. The car is in Excellent condition. 5-speed, T-Top, White w/ Red Leather. How easy is it to find these TT engines or get it rebuilt? Whats a good price on a non running TT but with a great body and interior. Also a bunch of Mods, Exhaust, Chip/ECU, Intake, etc...

Would it be worth me buying and then fixing up? I know some of you here has had experience with these cars or at least know about them. What would you do? Thanks.

·
Respect
1,185 Posts
It would but only if you got a crazy deal. Cars that are 15 years old and that have been raced/modded and don't run are almost worthless when it comes to resale. I'd say 2k max. If you do the labor yourself then its definetly worth it.

·
11,221 Posts
Yea, this is in the wrong section. I seriously think you can get better answers over at "Other Cars" section. We have some 300 owners on this forum, and they only check the "Other Cars" section. There's no point in checking this section if they don't own a Supra, unless they want to troll in on everything.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jarrett H said:
It would but only if you got a crazy deal. Cars that are 15 years old and that have been raced/modded and don't run are almost worthless when it comes to resale. I'd say 2k max. If you do the labor yourself then its definetly worth it.
What about 2.5K? I don't know, but I can't find a 90 TT in good condition Under $10,000. Are those engines easy to find? Or would I be better off rebuilding it?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
michaelvanle said:
Yea, this is in the wrong section. I seriously think you can get better answers over at "Other Cars" section. We have some 300 owners on this forum, and they only check the "Other Cars" section. There's no point in checking this section if they don't own a Supra, unless they want to troll in on everything.
I understand, but Many Supra owners have either owned one at some point, or have known people that have. But I'll go post somewhere else...sorry moderators.

·
Respect
1,185 Posts
10k for a 1990!? They are pretty similar to fds in price range for resale unless the fd has over 90k and hasn't been rebuilt yet. I have a feeling that you would spend close to 4k to fix it if you did the labor yourself for a new motor and parts. It would definetly be better if you rebuild it because you can put better parts and it will have 0 miles on those parts. But if the engine is damaged and can't be rebuilt you'll have to throw in another. B4 you even consider it, price out how much a new motor cost and internals for a new motor plus extra cost like getting it towed, maybe a new clutch etc....then see if that is under what a used one goes for or what your willing to spend. Personally i've noticed that EVEYTHING cost more than you expect. You always end up spending much more.

·
Bench Racer of the Year
692 Posts
You will likely spend more than 25 on the parts/engine + labor.

The red leather thing kills it for me. I wouldn't buy it just because of that alone. :p

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
briguy453 said:
You will likely spend more than 25 on the parts/engine + labor.

The red leather thing kills it for me. I wouldn't buy it just because of that alone. :p

Regards,
Brian
25k??? Your crazy! It didn't even cost me 8.5k to do my NA to TT Swap! And your saying to rebuild a TT will cost 25k. I'm thinking 4k for a rebuild maybe. Plus it maybe a simpler than I'm thinking. Even if I get a whole nother engine 4k tops, plus 1.5k or less to do the swap.

Anyone else know anything about this?

·
Bench Racer of the Year
692 Posts
Yes, only $2500. LOL

For the kind of cash for the car + rebuild + parts, I would be looking into a different car, like an FD, but thats just me.

Good luck,
Brian.

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
hey man...those vg30dett r dime a dozen at ure local jdm motor importers....atleast here in ny they r.....plus workin on those cars r a biatch..cause the engine is cramped like a virgin bitch....jus like the other guy said..get a fd (rx7)...plus even with moderate upgrades...these cars r pigs!!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You all assume I'm going to keep this car....

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jarrett H said:
You will lose money unless you get a good deal on the car.
He said he'll sell it for $2500. And I probably could talk him lower. We'll see.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
$2500 is prob a good price depending on the mileage. The 300zx is the biggest pita I have ever worked on however, labor will be expensive to R&R the engine. Otherwise, it soulds like a good deal.

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
lol it wouldnt be worth putting that engine in...have you looked at the engine bay? its worse than the 3000gt vr4

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
HAHAHAH RICER VS. PUDDLE! who will win! i love it how their intakes are so low when it rains they screw up their engine.. its so funny... i was talking to this guy he was like "yea i had a fast honda" by that point i almost broke into laughter, then he said "but i blew the engine" i was holding it back, and asked how. his reply was "i drove over a puddle and my cold air intake sucked it up" i could barely stand i was laughing so hard. thank god we can drive out supras in the rain huh?

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
SJ said:
lol it wouldnt be worth putting that engine in...have you looked at the engine bay? its worse than the 3000gt vr4
word,..
this is experience talking, the VR4 engine bay sucks...... I cant even immagine the Z's

:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts