Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something you might want to think about when you are thinking about going with used elctronics that affect you engine or other breakble components...

Yep, as always it was something small and inexpensive that cost me $$$$$

The car blew the side out of a piston after leaning out on the dyno months ago. Together with my mechanic at the time we felt it was more than likely something in the fuel system, ie. injectors or fuel pumps. After having the engine rebuilt and dropping in new 1000cc injectors I proceeded to drive it always under 5000 rpm during the break in period.

Once I had enough miles on it I decided to take it in to have it tuned. This time I had someone else tune the car for me since my builder has been very busy and told me he would be unable to do so. While tuning the car with the wideband we noticed it was leaning out around the same spot it did before on the dyno. Right at around 6100+rpm it would lean out pretty bad. Since I had just dropped the dough for new injectors and felt pretty confident they were not the issue I immediately went to the fuel pumps. We tested both pumps and everything was great. So what the hell could it be? No leaks..good pumps....good injectors....good fuel pressure... :dunno: Turns out this hole thing was due to a faulty VPC Sensor that I had bought a few months ago when I went single. I purchased the VPC from someone I kind of knew so I was confident that it worked fine. Since I never got on my car prior to the night before it blew I had no iddications that there was a leaning issue ( and I did not have a Wideband) again everything was fine up until just past the 6000rpm mark. I am confident that the person that sold it to me had no idea that there was a problem.

The reason for this post is to serve as a public service announcement that when you buy used electronics there can be issues that are not noticable. You can't check for oil leaks or compression on these parts. My advice to everyone is that if it can cause big damage when it fails....buy it new!!! I also want to state how important I think a wideband is. If I had one in my car, I would have seen it leaning out the night before when I was playing on the road with a buddy.

Again, I just thought I would share my experience in hopes that it may save someone else some $$ and headaches in the future. :bigthumb:

·
Boost Junkie
12,385 Posts
Damn,

Sorry to hear it. Was it the MAP sensor? Just glad to hear it wasn't that G-Force ECU I sold you. I would have felt very badly.

Steve K.

·
Lost in Dawg-land
550 Posts
My buddy just learned this lesson the hardway as well. Bought a used Safc2 for his 3KGT for $200. Got it and not only was it spray painted black but it was burned out. Of course the seller disappeared into thin air. He was left with buying a new one to get the car running so because he tried to save a few bucks he ended up spending $500 for a $300 part. :(

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evill Supra said:
Damn,

Sorry to hear it. Was it the MAP sensor? Just glad to hear it wasn't that G-Force ECU I sold you. I would have felt very badly.

Steve K.
Thanks,

It was the Press. Sensor. GForce seems to be good. I haven't had a chance to hit that 8500rpm limit yet. Not till I build the head....... :bigthumb:

Hope all is well with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts