Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 hardtop TT 6SPD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My driver side latch wont release. Key and the button wont release it. I touched the door latch when it was dead and it went down, no odd breaking or anything. The reason I was fiddling was because none of my keys will turn left in the door so I cant lock it when it is dead. Any ideas?

Theres a bunch of rubber flaking off thats in there, I dont think its jammed on that.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bag Auto part Gas

·
Registered
226 Posts
That latch bracket has a plastic cover on it that can get worn out with lots of use. What you are showing there are the remnants of one that wore out. Yes I have seen those jam the mechanism. All Toyota's from that era back to at least the late 70's had those. The plastic insert/cover when replaced makes the door close like new. Problem is it has been many years since I have ordered them and I have not seen them around lately. Maybe Toyota still has them in their stock. They used to be a very cheap fix for, doors that made noise when you drove or just did not close smoothly. Yes they can be installed without taking the door apart. You would dig the old one out, clean out the shavings and snap in the new one.

·
Registered
94 hardtop TT 6SPD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That latch bracket has a plastic cover on it that can get worn out with lots of use. What you are showing there are the remnants of one that wore out. Yes I have seen those jam the mechanism. All Toyota's from that era back to at least the late 70's had those. The plastic insert/cover when replaced makes the door close like new. Problem is it has been many years since I have ordered them and I have not seen them around lately. Maybe Toyota still has them in their stock. They used to be a very cheap fix for, doors that made noise when you drove or just did not close smoothly. Yes they can be installed without taking the door apart. You would dig the old one out, clean out the shavings and snap in the new one.
really? I couldnt find a part number for the rubber insert

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the plastic insert on my 89 for sure but I can't find the part number for it either. Here is what the MKIII door latch looks like: see the off white plastic piece on the latch (it is replaceable and dirt cheap)

They used to be around but I have not needed one in almost 20 years

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Older versions of these were molded with a black plastic but would still fit this latch too. It appears that by the time your 94 was built, Toyota put a coating on the latch instead of using this insert that can be pulled out. That means to fix it right you need to find another mechanism with the coating intact.

The metal latch shape in your picture still looks like what I remember and I would be curious to know if one of the plastic inserts would still fit and work after you get the old coating off. I will keep looking for the inserts since I have them on my car. There has to be a source somewhere. The noise problems were common enough on the old 2 door Corollas and Celicas that I would keep a few spares around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts