Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a pic of a door speaker that is on eBay presently:

this is a pic of the speakers that came out of my car ('89 NA):

Can anyone tell my why my speakers look different? They seem to have been the stock speakers. Were they part of a premium system or something?

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
same here...no surround too...haha...i just got a $50 pair of pioneer speakers...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hmm . . I never saw the carbon fiber looking ones, my 89 had blue Jensen speakers that were, and there were two jensen amps under the seat that were not hooked up to anything. So I do not think mine were stock, but yeah there was a premium sound option, that was suppose to be amplified from the factory.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
JonnyRedline said:
same here...no surround too...haha...i just got a $50 pair of pioneer speakers...
I've got a pair of AutoZone special Pyle speakers in for now, but after ~8 mos. they've started to flake out on me.

KLH2004a said:
So I do not think mine were stock, but yeah there was a premium sound option, that was suppose to be amplified from the factory.
One of the reasons I'm asking, is because I have no wiring, etc., for an external amp, and I've not been able to find much concrete info about the speaker systems available in the Supras. Thanks for the replys, and if anyone else has info, let us know!

·
Search
3,303 Posts
I didn't have an amp or anything that would indicate premium sound... just a set of fours up front, fours in the back and threes int he back...

nothing special

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
my 90t looked just like the cf ones. no surrounds, im sure those rocked haha.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
I had JBL's in mine :dunno:

I think I still have them if u want to buy them. They're just sitting in my cupboard outside. I'm not really lookin for a lot of money if u want to buy them ($20+shipping?) since I was just planning to trash them. I've got so much crap I could sell but I'm just too lazy to post it all :\

EDIT: Haha just realized u didn't say u were looking to buy, but I'll leave my post here cuz it just goes to show how being sick + tired = stupid posts :)

Looks like bedtime is calling.

G

·
While it seems that a few people here have seen similar speakers in their cars, I would be very surprised if those are factory equipment, even in a premium system. Perhaps they were a common upgrade at the time?

My 91T has factory seperates, and even they are paper cone, including the tweeter.

Word.

G

·
I'm not saying that it's not possible ... just that I'm surprised by it. :dunno:

I've been in car audio way longer than I've been into Supras, and I can't recall seeing a stock speaker on a car this old that wasn't paper cone.

I guess there's a first time for everything. :)

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
The carbon fiber were stock in later year 89-90. They are 2 way, you can see the tweeter there. The surround almost always falls off on these. The speakers you see on eBay are probably from an 87, which are a basic paper cone full range speaker.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
tommi3 said:
the other ones i think are the 86.5-88's....cuzz i pulled otu the same ones in my 87
SlimFastSupra said:
The carbon fiber were stock in later year 89-90. They are 2 way, you can see the tweeter there. The surround almost always falls off on these. The speakers you see on eBay are probably from an 87, which are a basic paper cone full range speaker.
The auction says they are from an '88. So the paper type were from '86.5-'88, these were standard for '89-'90, then '91-'92 went to the 6.5" setup (paper again, but component style). Correct?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts