Supra Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
does that little plastic box improve sound ??

·
Registered
583 Posts
thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
Those stock enclosures actually made some bass with new aftermarket speakers in mine. Nothing major, but definitely pretty decent for tiny little speakers.

·
Registered
583 Posts
how can we fit bigger speakers in there???

·
Registered
583 Posts
cud but the whole point to it was buying good speakers no stocker replacements, im getting some boston acoustics :)

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
If you're putting bigger speakers in, the plastic enclosure is not going to be the right size for proper tuning. bigger speakers generally require a bigger enclosure. you can calculate enclosure sizes and response based on thielle-small parameters. (fs, qes, qts, desired qtc, vas) Using an undersized enclosure will create a hump in the bass response (a certain bass frequency will be louder than the rest, making a boomy sound) Using an oversized or no enclosure will make the bass response weak, and will allow overexcursion of the driver at very low frequencies. (It will bottom out easy. Just sticking a speaker in a door with no enclosure will make it have shitty power handling.)

Thielle-small parameters:
fs is the resonant frequency of the speaker. qes and qts have to do with electrical and mechanical (the suspension of the speaker) resonance. qtc has to do with the tuning of the enclosure and effects the slope of bass response. vas is dependant on how much air the speaker displaces, and effects enclosure size.

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxad2.htm has a calculator that figures out enclosure sizes for different speakers.

Car speaker manufacturers dont bother giving useful parameters like that in most cases, and most of you probobly don't really get what I'm talking about... but theres some info for those who are interested. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make your own enclosure out of fiberglass or something if you can. The more rigid and internally damped, (stuffing, foam, etc,) the better the sound will be. 40-50% more volume for a speaker thats 25% bigger in diameter is a safe bet. Don't bother making ports for door panel speakers. Proper port tuning takes some work and a port won't help that much in most cases. Just seal it up as well as you can.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i understand so my best bet would be to make a custom box, just like mini subwoofers??

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
DavidTT87 said:
i understand so my best bet would be to make a custom box, just like mini subwoofers??
Yeah, that'd be the best thing for bigger-than-stock door mounted speakers. 1/2" MDF would work good if you're confident that you have the woodworking skills to make something that will fit inside the door.
I plan on doing the same thing once I get further along with my project, but i'm going to use some abnormal speakers (intended for home stereo) and use an exact enclosure size and active crossovers and all sorts of fancy stuff. Speaker building is one of my other hobbies. :) I've made guitar/PA speakers, stereo speakers, subs, etc.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts