Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. I know the brakes use DOT3 stock, I assme the clutch does as well? I have an upgraded clutch, shound I just make the move to DOT4, anyways? It's a daily driver.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
dot4 is not a better/stronger fluid than 3, it will not be upgrading at all... DOT4 has a slightly higher boiling point but different characteristics as far as seal swell and such go, i would not change it from what is originally used in it. for example, DOT5 is silicon based and if mixed with dot3/4 it will make a gummy residue and harm braking performance.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the boiling point is higher, so if I plan on bleeding the system, which I need to do, any reason NOT to move to DOT4?

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
yes, depending on the type of dot4 you use, it could have problems mixing not only with the residual dot3 fluid but could also affect the seals in the system. i would stick with dot3 if that is in fact what the stock clutch system uses, i am not sure. if it uses dot4 then yes, go ahead and use dot4. just my .02

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
I believe I use Valvaline synthetic which is possibly dot 5. Just bleed your system of the old stuff.

·
Registered
748 Posts
DOT 3 or 4 will be OK. They are compatible and mix together fine. DOT 4 has a higher boil point (not needed for clutch) than DOT 3 but also has a higher moisture absorbancy rate. Valvoline synthetic is designated as DOT 5.1 fluid and is compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4. DOT 5 is incompatible with all of the above. It is a silicone fluid and is not recommended for any application on the Supra .

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
just like normore said, you can mix 3 and 4 but not 5. just put dot 3 back in there, there no need to "upgrade" your clutch fluid, i doubt it will ever see high temps like your brake system does.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
like i said guys, dot3 and dot4 are designed to be compatible but then again it will also depend on the brand x dot3 and brand y dot4, i wouldnt mix them.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
normore said:
DOT 3 or 4 will be OK. They are compatible and mix together fine. DOT 4 has a higher boil point (not needed for clutch) than DOT 3 but also has a higher moisture absorbancy rate. Valvoline synthetic is designated as DOT 5.1 fluid and is compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4. DOT 5 is incompatible with all of the above. It is a silicone fluid and is not recommended for any application on the Supra .
Thanks! I got some Valvoline synthetic since it said it's compatible with DOT3 and 4, and I plan on flushing my brake system soon as well, so I'll use it there, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts