Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
when this baby hits 88mph
Joined
·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the fan themselves are just fine. but that control box sucks. everyone i know that has the control box has died. in my case it was a firey death. i had it wired w/ 12g wire from a 40amp relay then each fan has its own 12g wire. it drew enough current to melt the wiring and catch on fire, yet not enough to blow the fuse. yes i used the size fuse that was recommended. it never blew, just melted. anyway- here is the pic. luckily it was caught in time no real damage was done.

 

·
Captain Hammer
Joined
·
2,020 Posts
Cool....... or maybe hot..?
 

·
92 TURBO
Joined
·
999 Posts
dbsupra said:
the fan themselves are just fine. but that control box sucks. everyone i know that has the control box has died. in my case it was a firey death. i had it wired w/ 12g wire from a 40amp relay then each fan has its own 12g wire. it drew enough current to melt the wiring and catch on fire, yet not enough to blow the fuse. yes i used the size fuse that was recommended. it never blew, just melted. anyway- here is the pic. luckily it was caught in time no real damage was done.

12 gauge wire is only good for 20 amps, 10 gauge for 30 and 8 gauge for 40 amps, so of course a 12 gauge wire will burn before a 40 amp fuse will blow.
 

·
when this baby hits 88mph
Joined
·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: downfall of FAL elec fans *pic*

SupraMikeCT said:
12 gauge wire is only good for 20 amps, 10 gauge for 30 and 8 gauge for 40 amps, so of course a 12 gauge wire will burn before a 40 amp fuse will blow.
point taken. i used the 12g wire b/c thats what was supplied w/ the kit. it was a 30a fuse that was rec'd and i used a 40a relay b/c thats what i had on hand. either way i run the fans on a diff system now and no probs so far.
 

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
Joined
·
2,517 Posts
I am getting a Fal 180 Black Magic fan for my car. How would you recomend to wire up the fan to prevent this?.
 

·
boost freak
Joined
·
10,042 Posts
Re: Re: downfall of FAL elec fans *pic*

SupraMikeCT said:
12 gauge wire is only good for 20 amps, 10 gauge for 30 and 8 gauge for 40 amps, so of course a 12 gauge wire will burn before a 40 amp fuse will blow.
:stupid:

the other downside is when you accidentally stick you hand in them and get cut to the bone......:rolleyes:
 

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
Joined
·
12,147 Posts
Yeah this is Fuqed... I had 2 fueses form the company "little fuse" they used 30 amp fueses with 12G wire the whole plastic enclosure around the fuse melted, and almost started a fire.

I was very angry esepcially since the two wire ends on the 30 amp fuse was 12G.

Anyways I wired up 2x fuses 30 amp with 2x 12G wire and 2 relays for each fan that are triggered when the car is in the ON position.
 

·
1991 1JZ
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Re: Re: Re: downfall of FAL elec fans *pic*

drjonez said:
:stupid:

the other downside is when you accidentally stick you hand in them and get cut to the bone......:rolleyes:

yeah i would seriously write a letter to them about that one! they are unsafe!

:p
 

·
when this baby hits 88mph
Joined
·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep right now its running right off of a relay using the programable output of my gauge as a trigger.
the only thing i was really pointing out on these fal kits is the control box sucks. i know 5 people that have this box and only one hasnt failed. but thats dave henry and he drives like 1k a year to the track and back so i dont count that ;)
i was using what was supplied w/ the kit and still had the problem, thats just lame. the others that have failed just plain quit. mine was the only that had any drama.
buddy did call summit and they replaced the box under warranty but ive had mine for bout 3yrs so i didnt bother.
in summary- the fans are great. just be sure you space them ~1" out from the rad.
the box sucks. use an alt method.

dave
 

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
Joined
·
792 Posts
Thats what happen to me but with a single 15" fanand a 30amp relay also, I ended up overheating a little and had to put back my stocker:( even though it reved so good with the ellectric one.

I was also wondering if it was possible to run water temp sensor from thermo housing and make it to activate a fan at a certain temperature. I want my ellectric fan back on badly.
Didnt mean to thread jack of any type
 

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
Joined
·
1,847 Posts
i just installed mine. I used 10 gauge wiring and i had the grounds from both fans seperate, so each fan had a seperate ground. I didn't run the control box, instead i wired it to a switch that i put inside the car. I find it's better that way so you can control when you want the fans to run.

BTW, do you have a pic of the fan mounted on your rad?? i'm trying to think of a way to space it out an extra 1" but i can't think of a way to do so.

Thanks.
Derek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,902 Posts
dbsupra said:
the fan themselves are just fine. but that control box sucks. everyone i know that has the control box has died.
What is the so called "Control Box???"

I've seen Several for the FALs and i'm wondering if i have the same one.

I don't really need a pic just a P/N or something i can look up on the net for myself.

Thanks,

Bryan
 

·
when this baby hits 88mph
Joined
·
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: downfall of FAL elec fans *pic*

BigTSetter said:
What is the so called "Control Box???"

I've seen Several for the FALs and i'm wondering if i have the same one.

I don't really need a pic just a P/N or something i can look up on the net for myself.

Thanks,

Bryan
part number is 30331

derk-

i dont have that good of a mounted pic. all that you do is peel off the thin rubber stripping around the fan housing and stick on some of the thick weatherstripping from home depot/lowes/etc

here is the one pic i do have so maybe you can get an idea

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,902 Posts
WHEW!!! not the one i'm using. That thing looks Tiny. No wonder everyone is frying the wires.

I'm running like 10gauge through mine for the power wires.

Sorry to hear about the nuke job.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top