Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those with 97 or 98 supras....what did you do to keep the "check engine" light from coming on after you installed the downpipe. I would like to keep it functional in order to detect problems.

I have already read the O2 simulator write-up on mkiv.com, but was wondering if there is another way that is better/easier.

Thanks,
:)

·
Old Member
167 Posts
I have a 97TT w/RMM DP. I too wanted to keep the MIL operational after the DP install. Ended up installing the O2 simulator circuit ...and it has worked perfectly, No MIL.
I would go this way again.
Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MKIVBADGER said:
I have a 97TT w/RMM DP. I too wanted to keep the MIL operational after the DP install. Ended up installing the O2 simulator circuit ...and it has worked perfectly, No MIL.
I would go this way again.
Jim
Thanks...I will probably end up using the O2 simulator circuit.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I too use a 02 simulator and I like it. My check engine light still will come on once in a while but, I notice that is when I am using the a/c. I pop the hood pull the ecu fuse for 10 seconds and don't see it for another month or so. I did check the codes to be sure.
Matt

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a '98 with a Tanabe DP that I put on
about 2 months ago and still no check engine light.

I heard that in the OBDII cars, the light might come on,
and it might not. For some, it came on right away, and for others it doesn't come for a long time.

So basically I am waiting for it to come on and when it does I will reset the ECU and hope it stays off for another few months.
If it becomes more regular, then I will get the O2 simulator.

My suggestion (and this is only based on my experience and what works for me right now) is to get the dp, put it on and see what happens. Its not 100% that it will come one. When it does and becomes more regular, then get the O2 simulator.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pnty drpr said:
I have a '98 with a Tanabe DP that I put on
about 2 months ago and still no check engine light.

I heard that in the OBDII cars, the light might come on,
and it might not. For some, it came on right away, and for others it doesn't come for a long time.

So basically I am waiting for it to come on and when it does I will reset the ECU and hope it stays off for another few months.
If it becomes more regular, then I will get the O2 simulator.

My suggestion (and this is only based on my experience and what works for me right now) is to get the dp, put it on and see what happens. Its not 100% that it will come one. When it does and becomes more regular, then get the O2 simulator.

Just my $.02
I will probably wait for the check engine light to come on when I install my downpipe. But I installed a downpipe on a buddy's 97' and the check engine light came on after ~80 miles of driving....so it's time to build a o2 simulator for him. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts