Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the DP nuts is totally rounded. I see the stud it screws on to has a sort of star end on it so that it can be removed. Does anyone know what kind of socket is required to get the whole stud and nut off together? Any other ways of getting this nut off?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
286 Posts
the stud can be removed with a exterior hex socket...not sure what size, but you can buy a set of them at Napa auto stores...very handy for a lot of the bolts on the supra motor.
Good luck.

BTW: same thing happened to me a long time ago. I had to take it toyota to have them heat it up with a torch and take it off. Apperently mine was overtightened from the factory.

SH

·
Registered
84 Posts
yeah, those nuts are on there huh? i had a hell of a time taking mine off. we got 2 of the three off eventually and then the last one we couldn't get it off so we torched it and then i tried it again after it was hot and the whole stud came out.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
Black95TT said:
One of the DP nuts is totally rounded. I see the stud it screws on to has a sort of star end on it so that it can be removed. Does anyone know what kind of socket is required to get the whole stud and nut off together? Any other ways of getting this nut off?
Do NOT try to remove the nut by putting a female torx socket (E-10) on the tip of the stud. All you'll do is twist the tip of the stud off (trust me, I've tried this several times, and it NEVER works).
1) Try to pound a 13mm socket on the nut. If that works, you may be able to get it off.
2) If the stud is the one on the passenger side of the car, you can get at it from the side opening, with a very long chisel.
3) If it is one of the other two on the driver's side, you may be in deep doo-doo. Try to get a torch in there to get it red-hot, try to square off the nut with a dremmel (then pound an even smaller size socket on the nut), or even get the nut & stud cut off with an oxy-acetylene torch.
4) Worst case (this is the very worst case), chop up your downpipe/cat until you can get at the stud with vice grips.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DP off.

I finally got the DP off. BTW, EVERYONE should start their car for a second with all exhaust off. It sounds really evil. :) Anyhoo. I tried the torx on the end thing and it just snapped the tip off. Eventually I just got a pneumatic cutoff tool and cut down the side of the nut a pushed it off. The stud will have to come out now, but that can be done with a double nut thing or a small pipe wrench.

IMO, do not touch the DP nuts until you have IMPACT SOCKETS. Everything else will just flex open a bit and turn on the nut, thereby rounding it off. Also, use PB Blaster. I didn't because I ran out and tried to do BPU in one night.

Thanks to all the mkiv guys giving advice. Thanks to Howard (Hwilli) for the assistance in exhaust removal and wiring harness pullthrough! Thanks to my employee Graig for the help in the final removal of those darn nuts.

Time for BPU, yeah!

BTW, with all exhaust off, you can pretty much hear the turbo spool just blipping the throttle at idle up to 2500 rpms and it sounds like a tuned big block. Awesome....

Peace,
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts