Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see both sizes for sale. Are there any reasons to choose one diameter over the other?

(for '93 TT w/BPU)

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey if you have anything with boost--bigger is always better--better yet, take off your exhast and leave it off!!! :rolleyes:

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
a 3.5 is an overkill. A 2.5" downpipe is good for up to 500hp, above that then you go with a 3". So in reality with a 2.5" DP, that should be enough for a stock twins turbo setup. Also with a 3.5" you will add more wieght to the car and reduce clearance. The 3" as it is already easily hits speedbumps etc. I could imagine a 3.5". If pic does not load click on link below
"

Full Sized Image

"In Corky Bell's book, "Maximum Boost" it is stated that 2.5" exhaust doesn't become a restriction until somewhere between 450 and 500 horsepower (Chart above taken from "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell). Neither the Toyota CT-26 nor the CT-20b turbochargers can flow enough to achieve those power levels".
http://www.koracing.net/technical/ExhaustSizeChart.jpg[/url

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I tried taking that book as the final word but after seeing various exhaust systems show increases when they shouldn't have (according to that chart), I changed my mind. If a 300WHP Turbo Honda is seeing gains by using a 3" exhaust over 2.5" then I can believe a 600 WHP+ Supra see gains using a 3.5" over 3".

Mighty Mouse said:
a 3.5 is an overkill. A 2.5" downpipe is good for up to 500hp, above that then you go with a 3". So in reality with a 2.5" DP, that should be enough for a stock twins turbo setup. Also with a 3.5" you will add more wieght to the car and reduce clearance. The 3" as it is already easily hits speedbumps etc. I could imagine a 3.5". If pic does not load click on link below
"

Full Sized Image

"In Corky Bell's book, "Maximum Boost" it is stated that 2.5" exhaust doesn't become a restriction until somewhere between 450 and 500 horsepower (Chart above taken from "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell). Neither the Toyota CT-26 nor the CT-20b turbochargers can flow enough to achieve those power levels".
http://www.koracing.net/technical/ExhaustSizeChart.jpg[/url [/B][/QUOTE]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts