Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready for my first trip to a road coarse July. Some concerns that I have...for downshifting, do you guys actually use the heel and toe method? If you do this, what kind of pedals are used? I tried it with my car at idle, and I can only rev up the motor to 3kRPMS or so. I've heard of people using aftermarket pedals for a better achievement. Thanks.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can buy pretty much any cheap ricer pedal, but only for the brake. This should help you out and make it a little easier for you to reach the gas pedal while on the brakes.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
I could heel/toe quite easily with the stock pedals, I am about a size 10 shoe. However, I now have sparco pedals, and they are marginally better.

What I've found to be the best setup, is one of the $15 "ricer" cheap-o strap on gas and brake pedals from autozone. They are much larger in surface are between pedals, and make quick footwork easy. I did have one problem, however, on entering a corner in my other mkii supra with these pedals, the strap on cheapo brake pedal slipped off. Very BAD. I subsequently took the pedal and re-strapped it, and in addition put two screws through it to give it a more permanent snug fit.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
What they said on the pedals. The big thing is for you to start practicing rev matching NOW. Do it every time you driver a clutch car between now and July. If you dont' then trying to concentrate on something new like that on your first day on a road course will be distracting and probably take away from the more immediate concerns you will have with braking and cornering. If you start now and do it all the time you are driving it might get a good bit closer to second nature by July. To do it right it should be done "instinctually" (is that a word?) and you just don't even think about it.

I remember changing from wide ass converse chuck taylors (best non-nomex driving shoe) to a narrower "driver's shoe". While it looked chi chi in the paddock, rev matching with the narrower shoe was more marginal. I had less shoe on the brake pedal while blipping the throttle on downshifts. It was funny (or not) how distracting having to think about where my feet were under braking while working through the gears. It sucked and slows you down. Pulled in and put the chuck taylors back on and all was fixed.

Get the wider pedals and if the brake pedal goes too far down for you liking you can shim out out further at a later point. Wear a thin soled shoe with good grip so you can feel the pedals easily. Have fun.

Barry H.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes you should work on heel and toe downshifting, and using after market pedals does make it easier I have a sparco pedal set that I like.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I dont know how to explain this but I read somewhere that you dont really use the heel and toe, instead you just slide your foot over so that half is on the brake and half is on the gas and your heel should still be by the floor. however, when you watch the japanese drifter drive, they actually use the heel and toe. What's the correct way about doing this?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for clearing that up. Can you guys tell which pedal set you guys used specifically?

Just so I don't make another post, I'm BPU+ with 4 row. I've read previously that overheating is an issue at the track. I just flushed my coolant with distilled water and water wetter. I'm running a stock thermostat and stock radiator. anything else that I can for better cooling that won't be so costly? Thanks.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
What they said on the pedals. The big thing is for you to start practicing rev matching NOW. Do it every time you driver a clutch car between now and July. If you dont' then trying to concentrate on something new like that on your first day on a road course will be distracting and probably take away from the more immediate concerns you will have with braking and cornering. If you start now and do it all the time you are driving it might get a good bit closer to second nature by July. To do it right it should be done "instinctually" (is that a word?) and you just don't even think about it.
Absolutely! I spent a full year and half heel/toe shifting while daily driving (much harder than on a track, since you are at such low rpm's and matching is very difficult) But if you can learn and do it on the street comfortably, then you can do it anywhere .

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I honestly think you should work on other skills isntead of heel toeing at your first event. You'll want to learn the basics of how you "the lines" work and how you'll be hitting apex's. Improperly heal toeing at the track WILL fuck up your clutch.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Yep.

1) If you aren't perfect at heel/toe on the street don't even try it on the track.
2) Do your braking and _then_ heel/toe. Do not engine brake. Your rings will thank you, etc.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Fortunately for me I have been "heel/toe" revmatching for 30 years (man that makes me old) and it is automatic for me to do on both the street and on the track. I will tell you though try rev matching a FWD car with a unsprung clutch and a 8lb. flywheel with a working rev range of 6,000 to 9,000 revs. That is tough to do at first even after many millions of revmatching. No driveline lash to cut you any slack. Your downshifts have to be just right on the throttle or it trashes drivetrain components.

Like the others pointed out I would save it for later when you get more time to "muscle memory" or train your nuerons to do it without thinking about it.

Barry H.

·
462 Posts
Road coarse? You have a lot to learn...good luck and take it easy. The boost comes on strong out of the corners. Also, take off traction control, it's a lot more fun! Make sure to bilp at least 6K rpm otherwise you may lockup the lower gear. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts