Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I had my SP downpipe installed today..... It was installed by MPH Unlimited (htttp://www.mphunlimited.com) which did a very professional job of the install and alot of tech talk too....

Anyways... my driving inpression.. well I got to say.. I mean I loved the supra before.. but now its just.. WOW.... then again.. I have a completely stock supra with intake filter and SP downpipe... no BCC yet...

As for the BCC issue... tonight was a fairly cold night in Los Angeles, and I hit .95 bar (out of 4-6 runs this was the most, least was about .90 or so) anyways.. I didnt hit fuel cut... whats the deal with that..

I dont want it to happen, but I do want to know that my DP is really getting to the top of its performance barrier...

Are these numbers pretty right on with the setup I have? Will Ihave more boost when I get the exhaust too? Im running NGK 6097s with .40 gap.. should I put in new ones at .32 or so?

Side note... I raced a Corvette.. Im not sure the year, probably 94-95ish, and I beat him by about half a car.. is that normal.. should I have beat him by more or not beat him at all..

Thanks for any info you guys have..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Once you go to 18psi you really need to gap those 6097's down to .032, unless your missing now don't worry about the gap.

As for fuel cut it only occurs when you exceed 1 bar for 2 seconds so you're normal.

As for the vette from what speed to what speed did you race him?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So ... till I get exhaust, I shouldnt worry about hitting 1+ bar???

Also, about the corvette... it was off the line to about 90ish...

Any comments...

·
Registered
22 Posts
upgrade and mhp

I'm in LA also and got my 6sp turbo a few months ago. It's still stock and I've been thinking of some mods. I don't have too much money, but I can save up if necessary. From what I've heard, the downpipe is the way to go. Questions:

how much was the downpipe (and where did you get it)?

how much did mhp charge you?

also, what's the deal with the air filter upgrade? i know the power increase is minor compared to the downpipe, so what is it doing for your car?

thanks.

dr7

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What boost levels do you guys attain with a 3" DP? After the 3"DP installation (no cats) , my boost levels can shoot as high as 1.5-1.6 bar on a highway run. Way too high fer me.
I'm now considering reducing it to 2 1/4" to create some back pressure to control boost. Do you guys have this problem?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I work for Autoall.com, so I cant quote you the price I got.. they usually run about 380 or so for the SP downpipe..

MPH charged me 1 hour labor to the DP install.. about 60 bux or so... as for the power increase.. Im very happy with it... Although, I have heard alot of people getting more boost then I have after the install... any reason why???

The air filter.. well I have a new 3" air filter laying around when I got my car... so I put it on... I really didnt feel a power difference at all, but I love that I could hear the stock BOV out of it... that was the best part of the upgrade...

·
Registered
22 Posts
last thing

thanks for the info about mph. one more thing:

can your car still pass the CA smog inspection? if not, what will you have to change when it is time for the smog check? thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, of course it will NOT pass any type of legal smog check... then again.. people know people.. if you know what I mean... ;)

cmon guys.. any comments on the max boost with my setup...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just bought my RMM DP, but I think my car already has one. (I bought it used) How can I tell if the car has it? I noticed a Dp looking pipe connected to the aftermarket exhaust towards the catalist. Is this it, or is the Dp connected from the turbos to the exhaust? Please help!:eek:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... look under the car.. near the driver area... if you DONT see any cats, then you have a downpipe...

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
ianong said:
What boost levels do you guys attain with a 3" DP? After the 3"DP installation (no cats) , my boost levels can shoot as high as 1.5-1.6 bar on a highway run. Way too high fer me.
I'm now considering reducing it to 2 1/4" to create some back pressure to control boost. Do you guys have this problem?
You've got something else going on that's causing your boost to get that high. Sounds like you have a bleeder T or leak in some of your vaccum hoses.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... yes definitly .. it sounds like you have a problem if you are running 1.6+ bar only with a DP....

Shouldnt fuel cut kick in??

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats strange.... all the hoses are okay. Those overboosting happens on a high gear pull. Up till 4th gear, it gets as high as 1.35-1.40.
The nz members apparently have this similar problem. Could it be because the wastegate on the j-spec supras are smaller?

·
Registered
75 Posts
i just installed my dp last week and i have a 3" exhaust. I'm also hitting close to 25 psi or 1.8 bar on 4th gear runs on the highway. The car was also chocking and missing which might mean i need to gap down the plugs. If I get a boost controller, will that make my car run properly?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW... 1.8 bar with DP and exhaust.. thats scary..!!!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jvana95 said:
i just installed my dp last week and i have a 3" exhaust. I'm also hitting close to 25 psi or 1.8 bar on 4th gear runs on the highway. The car was also chocking and missing which might mean i need to gap down the plugs. If I get a boost controller, will that make my car run properly?
the mkiv relies to a great extent on backpressure to control boost. I've just reduced my DP to 2 1/2" today. Boost levels have since been brought down to reasonable levels even on highway pulls.
You'll have to do something abt it. At 25psi, it won't be long before you destroy your motor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts