Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My random tech dp with high flow cat is coming in this tues. Just wondering if i will feel a really big difference. The only power mods i have right now is an exhaust and intake. I live in CA so i figured better safe then sorry. Will the power increase when i become bpu be a lot lower than a bpu supra with the straight dp? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Random has a new 3" cat that you can buy that is really small.
It supposed to be the highest flowing 3" cat they have (something like 580 CFM) I have this and it flows great. If you can get that instead of the DP combo and have it welded on to a RMM DP you'll be much happier IMO.
I think the cat that comes with the DP don't flow as much as the 8100 series.

I didn't feel any difference with and without this cat (not even the sound).

If it's not too late, talk to them about this one compared to what you've ordered and see if you can change it.

Info below

The 8100 Bullet Series - designed for vehicles with severe space limitations, Random Technology Bullet converters are only 4" in diameter and 8" long. Universal models have an overall length (including end tubes) of 11-1/2".

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks man for the info.. Yeah the dp comes with the newest cat.Do you have any info on how much rwhp it will yield. Mani do you have any dyno graphs of before the dp and after. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I saw a dyno from a straight BPU Supra with a RMM downpipe/hi-flo combo that got 392 RWHP and 413 RWTQ on race gas. Since a straight BPU Supra with no cat typically doesn't get much over 400 RWHP, I would say you don't lose much at BPU level.

·
Registered
207 Posts
blkmkivtt said:
My random tech dp with high flow cat is coming in this tues. Just wondering if i will feel a really big difference. The only power mods i have right now is an exhaust and intake. I live in CA so i figured better safe then sorry. Will the power increase when i become bpu be a lot lower than a bpu supra with the straight dp? Thanks guys.
You didn't mention you have a BCC, better put one on otherwise you'll hit boost cut on a hard run.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i have the bcc at home ready to be installed with the dp. If everything goes good both will go in on fri.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a downpipe (I forgot which brand), how much would it cost to weld one of those 8100 cat on and have it installed on my car? How would I know where to weld it on to?

How much are those cats? Where can I get them cheap?

Thanks,
Kaz

·
Registered
207 Posts
kzsupra1 said:
I have a downpipe (I forgot which brand), how much would it cost to weld one of those 8100 cat on and have it installed on my car? How would I know where to weld it on to?

How much are those cats? Where can I get them cheap?

Thanks,
Kaz
I have the older model Random Tech cat, it cost me $85 to have the dp and cat installed at a local muffler shop. You can call Random Tech. (770) 554-4242 or order one from www.mvpmotorsports.com they both have the same price.

Be warned though I have had my cat for 13 months now and it is "busted". There is a rattling sound coming from the cat, most likely a part of the ceramic section broke off. BPU Supras without a tuned fuel controller run rich, this could possibly kill a cat, the temp. inside the cat is elevated to above normal.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Sleeper, did it cost the muffler shop $85 to weld it cat on the dp and install or was the cat already on the dp and they just installed it?

Which muffler shop did you go to? I live in San Mateo. Maybe I can go to the same shop you went.

Thanks

Kaz

·
Registered
207 Posts
kzsupra1 said:
Thanks Sleeper, did it cost the muffler shop $85 to weld it cat on the dp and install or was the cat already on the dp and they just installed it?

Which muffler shop did you go to? I live in San Mateo. Maybe I can go to the same shop you went.

Thanks

Kaz
The $85 was to remove the factory cats, install the RMM dp, cut a section of it and put in the cat. I'm out here in San Jose, check your e-mail for the shop location. Any muffler shop around your area should be able to do it though.

I suggest you consider getting a fuel controller to keep from frying your cat.
I'm just putting up with the rattling now, until I get my fuel controller for Christmas. Then I have to get a new cat again.:mad:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks sleeper for all your help.

I have a VPC and I got it tuned with a dyno so my car should have a decent a/f.

Kaz

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't need to worry about a broken substrate with the new Random cat - it's a metallic substrate unlike the old Random highflow which had a large creamic substrate. Also, the Random DP has a flex joint built in which is a MUST if you have a cat, especially a ceramic substrate one. With the metal substrate, it's just a nice feature possibly not a necessity.

I know several who have welded in cats into their solid DP's and later on had failures. I personally had a SPF DP with ceramic-style cat and flex connection for over 2 years with no troubles, even after grounding the cat on speedbumps.

Bob
97 6-speed

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, that's the old ceramic-substrate one. This is the new Random DP:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hella Small!!

Wow, that's hella small Bob:eek: !! Do they really pass visual;)?

Is it the Random dp/cat kit that is available in mvp?

How much can you get it for?

I already have a dp. Is it better to just get the cat and weld it on or just get the kit and sell the dp.

Thanks,
Kaz

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Believe it or not, it will pass smog both visually and functionally. It is small, but the metal substrate is very effective with conversion so it does at least as good a job as the old style cat, even though it is physically larger. The flow if the new one is also better, you can see straight through the substrate! The kit comes with a card that you keep in your car that identifies the various approval #’s for smog check. I believe this is the same kit sold by MVP, I bought mine from Lightning Motorsport - they seem to have a direct line to Random. It cost me $600 complete, including gaskets, bolts and shipping. As far as modifying your DP, unless it has a flex connection I wouldn’t advise it. Better to just sell it to someone needing a cat-less DP and buy a complete system that was originally designed to use a cat. It will work out better, believe me.

Bob
97 6-speed

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
kzsupra1,

"Wow, that's hella small Bob..."
Have you never been told that 'size doesn't matter'? Here's the proof;)

Bob,

How does one get hold of Lightning Motorsport ?
Where r they located?

Thx,

Jay :blue:

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Bob,

One could get a good DP for around $250-275 and a HiFlow cat for around $50-75, weld it on for few more bucks and have a solution for less than $400.
What's the advantage going DP/flex + cat for $600?

Thx,

Jay:eek:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First, if you want to get a metal-substrate cat you can expect to pay much more than $75 - probably more like $200. The only ceramic substrate cats worth consideration IMO are the Random and the CarSound 9000-series, these also cost well over $100. Most of the other so-called highflow cats really don’t flow that well. Then, once you get the cat you need to (hopefully) get it to fit properly. There may or may not be enough clearance between the now added cat and the underbody. If there is, great. If not, you have now compromised the design and will have to suffer with contact vibration and/or excess heat from a too-close cat. Finally, if you try to install a ceramic substrate cat on a solid DP, you will probably have an eventual substrate failure from vibration. Also, the modified DP will have less resale value after its modified.

Bob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts