Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone here drag raced their NA mkiv 5spd?? I am looking to hit the track this weekend just to be curious what my best 1/4 mi time would be (Im expecting at least 15's or more depending on how well i launch) before the car goes through some drastic changes. I've searched but no luck on "Drag racing N/A 5 spd". Can anyone here give me advice on what gear to burn out and launching at what rpm????

Anyone here have times of there NA 5 spd???

btw, i'm stripping out most of the unnecessary stuff to hopefully cut my time by a few milisecs :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Burn out in what ever gear it will and just don't drop the clutch at 6K so you don't break anything. If you are using street tires I don't think its a good idea to burn much. Just shift in high rpm's and you will be good.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
there is a thread on quarter mile times, NA's. Expect 15.3 at the best with a ~89mph trap....

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sup Ken, been awhile since i've heard from you. Yeah, i've seen that thread and already know what to expect. What i was looking for are tips on launching and burning out since i know that NA's are different since they dont have very much power.

btw, I pass by your Supra everyday on my way to the gym. hope your car is secured, cuz you should know there have been 2 break-ins at the gym down the street in the last week or so. btw, why dont you come with me to the drags this weekend?

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Hey Kev,
I haven't had too much of a problem with my car in that lot. My friend had her car broken in twice in the last year and she lives across from the field...stinkin accords are the most stolen/broke in cars ever.

About launching the car...keep it 3.5-4krpms drop/slip the clutch and go at it....other people have said to use the handbrake to load right before the light but with our cars I'm not sure what will actually help....

When are you going this weekend? my weekend is pretty packed but I may be able to go, tell me when.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
15.3 if its stock

·
Registered
552 Posts
I ran a 15.2 @ 92mph when i was bone stock and had spare and sub in trunk. Its all about the launch (im not very good, got too much wheelspin) and keeping it above 4K rpm after shifts.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Khiladi1020 said:
I ran a 15.2 @ 92mph when i was bone stock and had spare and sub in trunk. Its all about the launch (im not very good, got too much wheelspin) and keeping it above 4K rpm after shifts.
Your an SE. lightest of the mkiv's. What track did u run at? btw, what was your 60 ft. and 1/8 mi ???

·
Registered
552 Posts
kevganzon said:
Your an SE. lightest of the mkiv's. What track did u run at? btw, what was your 60 ft. and 1/8 mi ???
I ran at Pomona i believe? Ill have to dig up that old time slip and get back to you on the time details. It was in the winter of 2002 i believe. Even though the SE starts out the lightest, i had swapped in the leather power seats and a stereo system, so i dont think there any remaining weight advantage, besides being hardtop. i kept my spare in there too at the time. i really want to get back out there and see if i can be in the 14s now. I've added about 50K miles since then though (I'm at 129K), and 18" racing harts which arent gonna help vs. stock tires :(.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Khiladi1020 said:
I ran at Pomona i believe? Ill have to dig up that old time slip and get back to you on the time details. It was in the winter of 2002 i believe. Even though the SE starts out the lightest, i had swapped in the leather power seats and a stereo system, so i dont think there any remaining weight advantage, besides being hardtop. i kept my spare in there too at the time. i really want to get back out there and see if i can be in the 14s now. I've added about 50K miles since then though (I'm at 129K), and 18" racing harts which arent gonna help vs. stock tires :(.
Let me when your gonna run. I've never ran at Pomona. Last i ran was at Fontana 1 week ago. The only problem is the weather will be getting warmer and it wont help.

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
1.) If you're on streets, don't burnout like mad. You will get laughed at, and it won't help you. Just spin the tires enough to reveal some fresh sticky meat and get all the dirt and crap off your tires.
2.) UNDERinflate your rear tires to about 18-19psi
3.) OVERinflate your rears to about 38psi
4.) Obviously make sure your car is in excellent mechanical condition with no leaks.
5.) Remove all unneccesary shit: Jack, spare, audio equipment if possible, as well as power steering, a/c if you can live without it.
6.) Go AROUND the wet box, don't drive through it. Back into the wet, roll forward, and light em up enough to get the crap off them. If you're on drag radials or slicks, light those bitches up like there's no tomorrow.
7.) When waiting at the tree, CALM DOWN. Nervousness WILL effect your reaction times as your nerves will not react as quickly. It sounds crazy, but I'm serious.
8.) Launch around 4.5K and release the clutch like you are normally leaving a light. Yea it's bad on your clutch, but you will launch and you won't kill your driveshaft.
9.) When the tree is ticking down, hit it on the last yellow light for an excellent reaction time
10.) Concentrate on your shifts
11.) If you REALLY want to, get a bag of ice and cool down your intake manifold between runs. It may not help tons, but it can never hurt.

All of those tips are just some things I've picked up through the trips to firebird.

Best thing to remember is JUST HAVE FUN. You're not going to be the fastest one there, so just get good PRACTICE in. The key to dragging good is practice, practice, and more practice.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts