Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out what the backspacing has to be on my car with drag wheels...more particularly with 27" ET Streets that are 8.7" wide that will be mounted on rims 10" wide.

I know there is a sticky, but that is more suited for street tire wheels.

Anyone that knows their backspacing setup PLEASE post it in here and let me know all of your wheel/tire/backspacing specifics.

Thanks Everyone...really appreciate it.

Later

·
Registered
422 Posts
Tony,

I have a 7.5" backspace on the Weld 15's. I have about 3/4" of space between the tire and spring, and about 1/2" between the tire and the fender lip. I running a 26x11.5x15. Hope that helps...:D

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
dblegle said:
Tony,

I have a 7.5" backspace on the Weld 15's. I have about 3/4" of space between the tire and spring, and about 1/2" between the tire and the fender lip. I running a 26x11.5x15. Hope that helps...:D
How wide are the wheels?

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dblegle said:
Tony,

How wide are the wheels and how big are the tires you have on there? I am wanting to go with a 16x10" wheel and 27x10x5x16" ET Streets which are 8.7" wide. Trying to figure out what backspacing/offset to order.

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

Later

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oops sorry the wheels are 15x10" with 7.5" back space. Here is a pic, with the Eibach springs. The car sits about and 1" higher with the stock springs now.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I also think Tony wants to keep the stock turbo rear brakes and not do an NA brake swap.

·
Registered
422 Posts
16's with that back space would have the same results. He is going to running a skinnier tire anyway.

As far the NA brakes go. I didn't even notice a difference between the turbo and NA rear brakes. Car still stops unbelievable! Plus the 15's and NA brakes were cheaper that getting 16's...:D

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dblegle said:
Oops sorry the wheels are 15x10" with 7.5" back space. Here is a pic, with the Eibach springs. The car sits about and 1" higher with the stock springs now.

Thanks for the info. How much did you get those wheels for? What is the make and model of those wheels? Look like some type of Weld draglite.

Thanks again

later

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
Look like some type of Weld draglite.
Looks like you answered your own question.
And $176 ea.

This should be in the drag racing section so I don't have to wander into the clueless area of the forums. :)

John H

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John H said:
Looks like you answered your own question.
And $176 ea.

This should be in the drag racing section so I don't have to wander into the clueless area of the forums. :)

John H
How much would you say the 16" draglites cost custom ordered to fit? 16x10"

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
How much would you say the 16" draglites cost custom ordered to fit? 16x10"
Weld doesn't openly offer custom wheels. I'm sure if you laid down some money or were sponsored by them - anything could happen. You would also have the sole pair of 16 x anything draglites if that means something.

If you can make it happen, get me a pair of 16x4s!

John H

·
Registered
790 Posts
Weld is based here in KC aren't they? If that is the case tony would have as good a shot getting it done as anyone would:)

-Ethan

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ebanks said:
Weld is based here in KC aren't they? If that is the case tony would have as good a shot getting it done as anyone would:)

-Ethan
Yea they are, but don't know how easy or hard that would be to do. Maybe I will try and see what they say.

Later

·
Registered
422 Posts
Tony I got shot down by them when I asked, but if you can get it done that would be awesome!!!

The wheels are a Weld Draglite 90 series. I also have the front 15" skinnies as well, with the NA front brakes. I haven't ran this setup at the track yet, but can't wait.

The problem with the 16" front is the tire selection. Other than the Firestone that John a CCW uses I haven't found another tire that would work??? The 15" front tire 165/15 is cheap and you can get a radial...

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
dblegle said:
The wheels are a Weld Draglite 90 series. I also have the front 15" skinnies as well, with the NA front brakes. I haven't ran this setup at the track yet, but can't wait.

The problem with the 16" front is the tire selection. Other than the Firestone that John a CCW uses I haven't found another tire that would work??? The 15" front tire 165/15 is cheap and you can get a radial...
How well do the draglite fronts fit? What tires did you get?

On the 16" tire selection, why would you have to find another tire? We could just use the Firestone right?

On the 165/15 radial, I searched but could not find a tire in this size. The narrowest tire I could find in a radial with an OD 25-26" was a 195/70/15 Goodyear Cargo Vector (trailer tire), but it's R speed rated to only 106mph and it requires a min of 5" width wheel. No way I would use that instead of a M/T or Hoosier front runner even with drag radials on the rear. Did you find something better?

John H

·
Registered
422 Posts
Tony the link brought up Truck wheels??? Those are 6 lug not 5 or is the link wrong.

John the 15x4" fronts fit great. I had to grind just a little on the caliper, but I had to do that on the rears too.
You could use the Firestone, but it's nice to have a skinny radial on the front. Then if you want to drive around town with the skinnies up front you can. Bias ply's on the front is a little scary on the streets. I don't know if anyone uses the CCW skinnies on the street? Anyone?

The 165/15 you have to look for it specifically our try a 1970 VW Bug, that's it's spec tire size. Once you do that the choices are abundant.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
What's everyone running for front wheels? I think I'd like to find something, maybe an aluminum spare from a 3KGT?

These would've been perfect for the rear if I'd seen them before they got sold (cheap too!). -> http://www.horsepowerforums.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=608

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Hey guys...here's a thread we had going back in August trying to address drag tires/wheels - specifically front skinnies:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=135860&highlight=bike

Still haven't gotten around to trying to mount a front bike tire like that - but TRDemon contacted a bike shop - they stated that a bike tire couldn't mount to a regular car wheel...hmmm...maybe we'll try anyway ;)

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
PS - the whole idea of running a "skinny" up front is two-fold:

1) smaller contact patch
2) It should be a bias-ply tire to match the bias-ply tires on the rear.

Just running a more narrow radial tire up front...in theory...would get you a much more narrow contact patch which alone is a big improvement: Ex: running a 205/40/18 vs. 255/40/18 - however, it's still a radial tire fighting the bias ply ET Streets...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts