Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting Mickey Thompson 315/40/17 ET street radial. I rarely go to the drag strip and only put a few thousand miles on my car a year. How well do these type of tires perform on twisty roads and highways. I'm not talking about takeing them on a road course or anything, just niceday no traffic screwing around. Ive got somewhere around 8 to 900 rwhp. also I would keep 30lbs in them and I have 11.5 inch rims

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My advice:

MT Better grip for the 1st hundred or so miles and then they get all messed up. I rode in my buddies Cobra that ran 275 Nitto's and 275 MT's and also ran BFG drag radials. The nitto's actually grabbed better on the street but did hop a lot more slamming 1st to 2nd gear. After the intially hopping they grabbed hard. His MT's wear out after 200-300 miles and then spin through 3 gears and last a 1000 miles. The BFG's did really well but wore out after a 1000 miles. I would go with the BFG's if you love slamming gears and Nitto's if you like gripping. I make low 800's right now and when its decent out 60 degrees and they get a little warm they grip pretty well in 3rd gear but 1st and 2nd are useless. I am sure people will disagree but thats my 2 cents.

Staats

·
Boost Junkie
12,672 Posts
MTs and BFGs suck in the corners. The Nittos are just O.K. I'd look at just getting a set of stock rear wheels and run the BFGs when you run high boost and then run your regular street tires all other times.

Steve

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The M/T's are what you need. They handle well enough, and they last pretty long, provided you dont do a lot of burnouts. They last long for me!

Wow, 1000 miles? Even my drag set that I do long burnouts with last far longer than 1000 miles!

Nittos dont hook unless they have heat - got to be above 60 deg outside if you want to have fun! They will spin when hitting it at 75 MPH!

Al

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
My advice:

MT Better grip for the 1st hundred or so miles and then they get all messed up. I rode in my buddies Cobra that ran 275 Nitto's and 275 MT's and also ran BFG drag radials. The nitto's actually grabbed better on the street but did hop a lot more slamming 1st to 2nd gear. After the intially hopping they grabbed hard. His MT's wear out after 200-300 miles and then spin through 3 gears and last a 1000 miles. The BFG's did really well but wore out after a 1000 miles. I would go with the BFG's if you love slamming gears and Nitto's if you like gripping. I make low 800's right now and when its decent out 60 degrees and they get a little warm they grip pretty well in 3rd gear but 1st and 2nd are useless. I am sure people will disagree but thats my 2 cents.

Staats

If you look at the MT, it will be alittle "feathered over" looking on the tread. Do a nice burnout to get that off and they will hook like new.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm surprised noone mentioned Toyo RA1's. I've ha dthem on my car for a few thousand miles with the occasional trip to the track and they still have tread left. I just went to the track last week and they hooked just as well as the day I got em (after a mean burnout). They have a stiffer sidewall than the other d/r's so you can drive em on the street. Like I said before I've been drivin on them for a few thousand miles!

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
I'm surprised noone mentioned Toyo RA1's. I've ha dthem on my car for a few thousand miles with the occasional trip to the track and they still have tread left. I just went to the track last week and they hooked just as well as the day I got em (after a mean burnout). They have a stiffer sidewall than the other d/r's so you can drive em on the street. Like I said before I've been drivin on them for a few thousand miles!
i was afraid of buying a road race tire for street driving ....i thought the wear out pretty quik (faster than a dr) .....how are they for reg street driving (like punching it in 2nd gear) ?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Road Racing tires aren't going to work for high hp cars.

·
WE BRUNG IT HARD!!!
533 Posts
stay out the water b/c your car is gonna get ASS happy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
How about the M and H drag radials??? Supposed to be stiff like Nitto's but soft and grabby like MT!! Anybody can add there $0.02???

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had BFG Dr's 295/35/18. I cut a 1.52 60' after about 5000 miles on them at SILV05.
They drove great. The only problem I had with them was the sidewalls developed a split in them, probably from heat retention (they don't dissipate heat well for freeway driving). I have 15" MT Dr's on my Supra powered MG now and I must say they work great! (My picture files are too big to download but pictures can be seen on youtube, keyword: supra mg) From what I've heard, the Nittos last longer but don't grip quite as well as the other two.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
How about the M and H drag radials??? Supposed to be stiff like Nitto's but soft and grabby like MT!! Anybody can add there $0.02???
They are not stiff like Nittos, actually they have a much softer sidewall than M/T's.

Have not had them on the track yet, but they look like they will hook just fine.......

Al

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mt et street radials did the same thing, hooked really well for about 500 miles
and then where complelty useless, would smoke up at 100mph and not go
anywhere, put me of them for the time being. They were on my skyline(275/40/17)

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
I have the BF Drag Radials in the 315/35/17 on my supra and I like them alot. They hook up awesome but they are wearing fast. I would love to see how the 315/40 /17 MT perform on the street.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts