·
Alpha for president
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tring to figure out which drag radials are preferred??? for stock tt wheels

·
Registered
570 Posts
275/40/17 BFG's are my #1 pick... if not those, the new M/T Dr's sound really nice.. but as far as size, the best fitting without rolling your quarter panel lip is the 275's

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Mickey T's seem to be the best available right now, although I don't have personal experience with them, just the BFG's and Nittos...where I strongly prefer the BFG's.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Im running M&H drag radial in a 275/50-17 on my stock wheels (not a typo, taller sidewall, they are 28" tire).. They hook GREAT, way better than the BFGs I ran previously..on high boost I could blow off the BFGs in 2nd gear, with the M&Hs on the street the car hooks in every gear, every time, even without a burnout.

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
SupraSpeedMKIV said:
Im running M&H drag radial in a 275/50-17 on my stock wheels (not a typo, taller sidewall, they are 28" tire).. They hook GREAT, way better than the BFGs I ran previously..on high boost I could blow off the BFGs in 2nd gear, with the M&Hs on the street the car hooks in every gear, every time, even without a burnout.
That is good to know. How much power are you making? Did you have to modify anything to get them to fit w/o rubbing?

Andrew

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
T6Rocket said:
Good to finally see feedback on the M&H's! I have been wanting to try the 275/55-16's, also a 28" tire.

Al
Al,

That's exactly the tire I've been wanting to try as well. Do you think they will fit without cutting?

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
bad94sup said:
Al,

That's exactly the tire I've been wanting to try as well. Do you think they will fit without cutting?

Make that 3, I've had my eye on them for a while. The fitment I'm sure would have to do with the back spacing/offset.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
bad94sup said:
That is good to know. How much power are you making? Did you have to modify anything to get them to fit w/o rubbing?

Andrew

Im running stock TT wheels with the 275/50-17. Im on completely stock suspension and I have no rubbing, I did not have to cut anything, my fenders aren't rolled or cut at all.. The tires rub on the body panel with the rear brake ducts with the car in the air, but with it on the ground, its fine :)

I made 593 rwhp on pump gas and base boost (18-19 PSI) and ran low 11s @ 134-135.. I've never dyno or been at the track on race gas and high boost, but even 27-28 PSI, I don't blow the tires off on the street, they will spin over one time when I first get on it when Im driving the car, but after that, all they do is hook.. No wheel hop on the street either, which is a good thing since Im running a 6 speed.. BFGs hopped like crazy, the M&Hs just grip and go :)

I've also had the tires on for about 4000 miles plus 10-11 passes.. And they look barely worn.. So it seems not only are they hooking better than my BFGs, but they are outlasting them as well :)

Couple of pics I have..

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I run the same tires. I noticed that the m&h are significantly narrower than 275's of different companies. When placed next to mt and bfg 275s I'd say the m&h are around 2 inches narrower. There are no fitment issues whatsoever with stock wheels. These tires do hook much better than bfg's of the same size. I'd say they are on par with mt radials of the same size if not better. I really want to try the m&h slicks!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
For those that use these for daily driving. How well do they handle? Are
they decently safe if you get caught in the rain? I have been running
Nitto DR's for daily use for ~6 years. They do well for daily driving but
now that I will have more power with a single turbo, I am looking for a
better traction tire. Has anyone run these and Nittos on the street? What
are your driving impressions? I have a beater, but take the Supra on trips
of 100-300 miles in decent weather as well as 70-100 passes at the track
per year. Any feedback is very welcome.
Wayne

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
cummins said:
I run the same tires. I noticed that the m&h are significantly narrower than 275's of different companies. When placed next to mt and bfg 275s I'd say the m&h are around 2 inches narrower.
That is because the other tires you are comparing them to are 275/40's. The "275" dimension on DOT tires is measured at the center of the sidewall, so the taller the tire is, the narrower the tread is. I do believe they list that 275/50 tire as 8.8" wide, where the 275/40 is 10.2", so almost 1.5" narrower.

Al

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I had the mt radials 275/60/15 and so far these M&H radials 275/50/17 hook just as well. Tracks here aren't prepped very well so that may not be a good comparision but for what its worth I do average the same 60 with both tires and they both seem to have the same traction on the street. Personally I like the m&h radials and I can't wait to try a set in 15's.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
cummins said:
I had the mt radials 275/60/15 and so far these M&H radials 275/50/17 hook just as well. Tracks here aren't prepped very well so that may not be a good comparision but for what its worth I do average the same 60 with both tires and they both seem to have the same traction on the street. Personally I like the m&h radials and I can't wait to try a set in 15's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good info. Thanks!
Wayne

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
How much do these M&H 275/50-17 cost.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
WayneCar said:
For those that use these for daily driving. How well do they handle? Are
they decently safe if you get caught in the rain? I have been running
Nitto DR's for daily use for ~6 years. They do well for daily driving but
now that I will have more power with a single turbo, I am looking for a
better traction tire. Has anyone run these and Nittos on the street? What
are your driving impressions? I have a beater, but take the Supra on trips
of 100-300 miles in decent weather as well as 70-100 passes at the track
per year. Any feedback is very welcome.
Wayne
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For people using these 24/7. How are they as a good weather driver?
How dangerous if you get caught in the rain? Are they okay for normal
street use. I have a beater for bad weather, but the track is 150+ miles
from me and I want to run these full time.
Thanks
Wayne

1 - 20 of 33 Posts