Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a problem with running radial tires with a wrinkle wall slick in the rear? I read on manufacturer sites not to mix and that it makes the car unstable. Is this true? I want to put some slicks on my car without having to put skinnies up front. Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes it is true, whats wrong with putting skinnies on a car? I daily drove both my 03 and 94 cobras with skinnnies at all times....

·
Boost Junkie
12,399 Posts
If you are going to drive the car with a wrinkle wall tire in the back you might as well go ahead and get the skinnies for the front. The car is going to handle like a$$ anyway.

Steve

·
Registered
348 Posts
Simple explaination is...
The soft walled rear bias ply tire will allow the rear to "float", while the stiff sided radial up front will try to keep the car going straight ... what you end up with is the rear end "wagging" back and forth. The faster you go, the worse the wagging gets. A skinny up front will allow the front to float with the rear, and the car tracks straight.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I will have to do it

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Simple explaination is...
The soft walled rear bias ply tire will allow the rear to "float", while the stiff sided radial up front will try to keep the car going straight ... what you end up with is the rear end "wagging" back and forth. The faster you go, the worse the wagging gets. A skinny up front will allow the front to float with the rear, and the car tracks straight.
THIS.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's not the best idea, but it's the safest if you want to hook AND keep control.
Absolutely incorrect!!!!

What you should have said is "if you want to hook and LOSE control on the big end."

Driving around town looking cool with "bigs and littles" is one thing. Trapping 130+ on the big end with bias-ply slicks and radials on the fronts is asking for trouble and let me tell you, it is downright scary.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Absolutely incorrect!!!!

What you should have said is "if you want to hook and LOSE control on the big end."

Driving around town looking cool with "bigs and littles" is one thing. Trapping 130+ on the big end with bias-ply slicks and radials on the fronts is asking for trouble and let me tell you, it is downright scary.
huh? I swear Supraforums has the worst reading comprehension ever.

·
Fastest Factory Auto
2,228 Posts
What you should take from this is that its completely unsafe to run a Bias ply rear and radial front

I know from personal experience, did it once, luckily I didnt wreck, will never do it again.

PM'd you

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
damn, this came at a perfect time, lol i have absolutley NO idea about not being able to mix and match bias plys and radials. i have a set of ME ET streets coming in the mail, and looks like fortunatley they WONT get here for tmrws event, if i run my car it will be with tires i have on there now......a shitty Riken 245 :) but better safe then sorry, that is for sure.

let me ask this.... would the stock NA front rim be considered narrow enough to be a sknny if i purchased a bias ply tire for itinstead of the radial i have on there now? or do i need something smaller still?

·
Registered
591 Posts
damn, this came at a perfect time, lol i have absolutley NO idea about not being able to mix and match bias plys and radials. i have a set of ME ET streets coming in the mail, and looks like fortunatley they WONT get here for tmrws event, if i run my car it will be with tires i have on there now......a shitty Riken 245 :) but better safe then sorry, that is for sure.

let me ask this.... would the stock NA front rim be considered narrow enough to be a sknny if i purchased a bias ply tire for itinstead of the radial i have on there now? or do i need something smaller still?
The problem is going to be finding a bias ply tire to fit the na rim!

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
hm...ok. i gues i have to save a lil more and invest into some tires for the front....

are there any other options besides getting a new drag wheel for the front? something like running the rx7 wheel in the back, but in the front instead? any options like that with a cheaper tire?

·
Registered
591 Posts
hm...ok. i gues i have to save a lil more and invest into some tires for the front....

are there any other options besides getting a new drag wheel for the front? something like running the rx7 wheel in the back, but in the front instead? any options like that with a cheaper tire?
I had my factory front TT wheels narrowed to 17x5.5 and was going to try and fit a M&H bias ply front runner but decided to sell them instead

·
Finally up and running!
3,997 Posts

Spare wheels with bias ply tires is the only "cheap" alternative I can come up with off the top of my head. Another option would be to get some 15" summit star wheels and use a spacer + extended studs to run them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts