Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
not much as of now but heres some history.

traded this

for this

previous owner said hks mhg, arp's, rebuilt bottom end with 40k on it...well the bottom end story was bullshit but the top end was done as he said.

the basket case started with the usual leaks, oil pan had a scratch that seeped, welded that up (bitch of a job)
it started blowing freeze plugs, i found the internals rusted to shit, litterally rocks of rust came out.
the ct was making oil, the clutch was chattering a lot, and the wiring was decrepit as hell.

so, i pulled the motor the first time by dropping the frame and motor from under the car, takes a bit more time but when you dont have a hoist you gotta do what you gotta do.

i found stupid things like missing gaskets, missing bolts (nothing serious or safety wise) and just a total lack of quality. so, i stabbed new freeze plugs and gaskets all over the motor to get rid of the leaks. then a week later and guess what...

you got it, bhg.

so from the full gasket set i had i still had a good stock hg. i figured i could run that without issue for the rest of the season, well no...apparently not. atleast this time it lasted 2 weeks.

its been parked for a few months now and i was getting a parts list to rebuild but then i found a gem on craigslist.
a 20 over block with wiseco ceramic coat, eagle rods and everything new, oil pump, freeze plugs, fresh gloss black paint etc..(get to pick it up friday)

so today i got moving on the poopra.

i got a pencil grinder and a 250pc kit to do a mild port/cleanup on the head which ill start on tonight when i remove all the accessories and trans. updates/pics will be posted in this post #1.

i broke a personal record this time, motor and trans out in just under 2hrs, 1-48min exact...by myself (not to brag, its just cool that these cars are that easy...but i soppose ive had plenty of practice)

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
working on it, sweating my fucking ass off!
heat index is over 100 and today is actually a cooler day to do some work.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
indeed, wrinkle. but with all the oil leaks and trying to mend everything the paint didnt hold up well at all, i guess if i were more careful it would be better but i think im going to try this again with a combo of batman bronze.

this time the engine bay will be semi gloss black. it should all flow nicely as long as i keep everything organized. i also plan on using something like this to fill the holes

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/542784--plug-button-assortment-of-chrome-plastic-plugs-by-dorman-help-part-02413.html

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
UPDATE!!

goodbye money,

hello new $1400 7m,

so, the specs...
wiseco .20 over pistons, also ceramic coated
eagle rods
arp everything
balanced everything
new oil pump
all seals, gaskets, freeze plugs, etc.
6m crank (argue if you will, lighter is best, so GFY)
i have still yet to check the oil squirters but they look new to me...
sure im missing something.

dont worry, heres the pics for you forum whores

so heres a question, why is the counterweight machined like this, balancing purposes or to clear the rod?

and heres something i found weird...7m crank in my 89. how late of an 89 did they come in?

6m crank

and heres the worst part of the head...out for valve test/regrind, surface and cam+cap cleanup. should be another week or so.

·
Addict
1,120 Posts
if you want you can polish them up with a nylon wheel for drills... I refurbished some stock ones one my own.. the nylon doesn't errod the metal away like a metal brush wheel.. so you can smooth up all the surfaces nice and pretty :)
If you want a stock untouched pair of cams that look better pm me, I can get you some.

·
weaksauce, work on it...
659 Posts
Looks like a hell of a start, props on the DIY factor. It must be a mk3 thing ... as cool as the mk4 buildthreads are there's just I hint of bitchassness to paying a shop to build the car. Takes all the character out of a cars story . I look at my car and I see memories of busted knuchels, clutch kicking the shit outa the twisties and having to replace the w58 when I killed it. To spend more time under the Hood than the drivers seat. Do the mk4 guys just see the $$$.

Best of luck on the build!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
about the cam journals. its very common they look like that. from the 20 or so 7m's i've gone through personally i've only seen maybe one or two heads that didnt have that scoring. as for the crank, well, it depends if its a late or early 89. usually the early 89's got the older 87-88 (6m) crank, and the later ones obviously got the 7m crank. also the 87-88 had a higher redline of 6800rpm, now since the ecu is slow it doesnt always hit the limiter at 6800rpm, sometimes it can go as high as 7200rpm or so. early 89's also got a lot of the 87-88 stuff... square mounts, 6800rpm redline, 6m crank, 3.91 gears, etc... the only thing that is consistent on all 89's up until 92 were most of the cosmetic stuff. 91-92 obviously started to see some changes. like that damn sunroof i love so much! ps: as long as you dont skimp on the engine and have everything checked that is questionable you should be fine. 7m's do not tolerate shortcuts well. i wish you the best of luck with it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Looks like a hell of a start, props on the DIY factor. It must be a mk3 thing ... as cool as the mk4 buildthreads are there's just I hint of bitchassness to paying a shop to build the car. Takes all the character out of a cars story . I look at my car and I see memories of busted knuchels, clutch kicking the shit outa the twisties and having to replace the w58 when I killed it. To spend more time under the Hood than the drivers seat. Do the mk4 guys just see the $$$.

Best of luck on the build!
Yes, because only the mk3 guys turn their own wrenches lol. What a crock of generalized crapola.

Op;-take your time, don't cut any corners and it will all be good as gold. I would mic out your lower end before you just install it as is. Not saying po did not do their job, but now would be the time to find out, before it is installed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
sick stuff man. I wish my build was going this smoothly. lol keep up with the pics and great stuff!

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yes, and also just another reason why i bought this. mac tools digital torque wrench...has angle finder (some specs call for a 90* turn, sometimes you cant do a perfect full 90 pull...well this wrench knows if youve done 2-45*'s or 5 small pulls untill you hit exactly 90) it has peak hold, so if youve torqued past the limit it shows on the screen as the last max value. it has 9 presets, so if i torque the head with ft-lbs, i can go to preset 2 with in-lbs, or preset 3 with Nm and 4 with a 359* angle.

damnit i cant find a pic online. ill snap one tomorrow when i get to work.

anyways, i really bought it because of the car...i want this shit on the money...and a clicker wrench will do, but mine is getting old and i didnt want to dick with getting it calibrated. plus ill use this new wrench at work anyways. i still dont know if i can justify spending 500 on it or not, but it just took my build to that entirely new level.

back to the build questions.
so what do you guys think about the crank in the new one? the bottom of the pistons have writings on them, 333.1,333.5 etc... so they appear to have been weighed and balanced. and with the counterweights on the crank being machined im 99% positive its been balanced as well.

so with a bottom end that much lighter, is it a good idea to go with a lighter crank pulley? (ive always been under the assumption that the crank needs the dampening of the stock pulley)

also thanks for the tidbit on the cams, i was a little worried about that.

i have a vacation comming up the end of aug and i plan to wrench everything back in then. so untill then im just gathering parts and getting a game plan together.

TRUST ME, CUTTING CORNERS IS NOT MY THING

·
Registered
998 Posts
Looks good man. Keep it up. Glad to see yet another 7m being built :D

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
sorry for the lack of pics at the moment, these are just all the parts ive been collecting... but starting next week ill be posting some good stuff.

this post is really just for my own records at this point. (a sort of poopra journal i suppose)

parts in:
lex afm
hks filter
160* thermostat (tx heat is a bitch and i never needed much heat in the winter anyways)
jic full engine gasket set
jic freeze pugs
thermal barrier intake gasket (ebay 25 shipped, couldnt pass it up, worth a shot...never had experience with one yet)
hks 3.0mm gasket
arp flywheel bolts
f1 racing clutch+pp(ebay)/ resurfaced flywheel
rebuilt cps, thanks to two r us.com very cheap and came with everything needed to reseal/bearing my cps.
rebuilt power steering pump, ebay kit <30 bucks money well spent, even though it wasnt leaking.
rebuilt starter (really just cleaned up contacts and checked specs since it was still plenty new)
rebuilt alternator (same as starter, just a brush/contact cleanup and assure all is well)
head deck surfaced and done, valves lapped in waiting for buckets and shims, this weekend.
block is out at watts engine shop to get the deck surace as good as it can get, also machine front cover to match
good used n/a valve covers waiting to come in and paint.
i even got a new kenwood deck, and dash kit since the deck that came with the car was the cheapest piece ive ever seen.
good used bumpers
gauge cluster
and a few other odds and ends like clamps/hoses/hardware/paint/ fluids etc...

dont worry, lex wont be installed for a few more weeks untill i get injectors and wideband.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts