Supra Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
417 Posts
Cool that. I've owned mine since 1995, but in reality it was only a daily driver from 95-2000. After that it sat parked for 8 years, and then another 9. Kind of sad really in that I totally missed the last 20 years of the culture, but in some ways I think its a good. I say that because of a few things:

• Not being a daily driver, I never wrecked it
  • I resisted people over the years leaving a note on the car wanting to know if I wanted to sell it.
  • I was able to keep it stock and not go with my hot rodding impulses of the 80s-90s. (my 85 Toyota 4x4 truck from 87-91 had a 6 inch suspension lift, 35x17.5 mickey thompsons, triple shocks, double double smitty built fully welded 1 piece rollbar, the list goes on).
Now I just have the goal and focus to return it to as close to a reliable stock car as I can, with a few notable upgrades. :D

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
417 Posts
One thing I'm starting to notice about my trips to the junk yards. Originally I was there looking for replacement parts and sometimes missing parts. After a while I pretty much got all i needed. But I've realized that now more than even in 2008 (the last time I was junk yard hopping for the Supra) that there are certain parts you should just grab.

With that logic you have to be careful or you will have enough parts to build another car! But at the same time, the thought of leaving something behind that you had your hands on is haunting. lol I've done that a couple of times already.

I agree that the parts on eBay can be expensive, but if you don't have access to one in the yards it can fill the space.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
I know a sticky-worthy thread when I see one!

Thanks for the excellent write up and excellent pictures - I am absolutely certain this will help a lot of other MK3 guys in the coming years!

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,180 Posts
Just a FYI for anyone in here, I posted a big write up on why this intercooler could actually flow worst than the stock intercooler and give worse response.

Basically, it's a double pass, which does nothing for cooling since you only need 12" according to bell intercoolers. Furthermore, you cut the flow in half due to the amount of IC flow so you really have only 8 bars that can flow air though vs like 31. Furthermore, the flow to the one side and abrupt 180 will hamper velocities and slow spool reaction.

The older top to bottom (vertical) design is a much better design and flows quite a bit more.

·
Registered
1989 turbo/targa/auto 82k and bpu
111 Posts
ZaZZn....got a link to that thread...maybe I'm stupid but not finding it.
I've been considering one of these kits for my '89 that I just picked up the last parts for my vpc/safc/550cc/57trim upgrades.
I actually have this exact kit on my '87 that got put on like 6 years ago but that car is yet to be tuned and road driven so no idea if it's good or not...wasnt to impressed with fitment but it worked...I questioned the double pass bit too as it seems you'd basically have a narrow but very long core...but still seems it would flow/cool better than stock as the piping is larger as are the passages in the core itself...but there are fewer of them, so perhaps it would cool better but flow worse?🤷‍♂️.
I've been reading alot of arguements that the dual pass is worse than top to bottom vehicle flow...but not come across hard evidence yet.

OP...good write up, wish I had the time and patience to do things like that.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts