Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few threads out there for installing an intercooler, but I found some of them to be a bit unclear and have dead picture links. So this is my attempt at explaining the process, hope it's helpful.

I got the Driftmotion intercooler kit with the inlet and outlet on the same side and based on looks and the installation process, it’s great. I knew some modifications would be necessary, but couldn’t figure out for sure how much. It turns out the main things were mounting brackets for the intercooler, oil cooler and relocating the coolant reservoir. I thought the pipes would need some modification, but they fit perfectly.

Here’s the intercooler:

Installation
It’s pretty easy to figure out which pipes go where, but I was pretty excited and mixed up two pipes which resulted in some scratches. Here’s the general layout of the parts:

Pipes
It was easier to fit the pipes first (not tightened) and then the intercooler. This helped to keep the intercooler pipes in place while taking measurements for brackets.

Pipe 1 is pretty straight forward - 1A goes to the throttle body, just remember to use the correct coupler: 2.5”-2.75”

Pipe 2B connects to Pipe 1B. It’s easiest to feed 2B from the hole near the fender/bumper into the engine bay.

Pipe 3A connects to Pipe 2A.

Pipe 4A connects to the turbo outlet. Remember to use the correct coupler: 2.25”-2.5”. It will be easier to tighten the 2.5” side of the coupler before connecting it to the turbo outlet.

Pipe 4B connects to the intercooler inlet with the 90º coupler.

Pipe 3B connects to the intercooler outlet with the 45º coupler.

While the intercooler is off, it might be helpful to make sure the included bolts screw in easily. There were two burrs on the intercooler which made it hard to get the bolts in. Better to address this (if it's even a problem for you) off the car instead of fighting with it on the car like I did.

Mounting Oil Cooler
I mounted the oil cooler after the intercooler was already mounted, but it would be much easier to do this before the intercooler is on. It can definitely be mounted better than the way I did it.

I used two brackets - one of the black ones that came with the kit and one that was holding the stock pipe. If I remember correctly, it’s the one located beside the washer fluid tank.

Mounting Intercooler
For this, I didn’t use the included supports. I ended up getting these steel and aluminum supports from Home Depot:

The 2-¼ x 1-½ angle bracket lines up almost perfectly. The holes line up perfectly to mount the bracket onto the car. The three holes that line up with the intercooler will need to be expanded just a bit.

So mount the bracket onto the car and line up the intercooler to take some measurements. Mark which holes will need to be expanded. I took the bracket off and used a metal file to expand the holes.

Top view:

On the bottom, I made a bracket with the flat aluminum and used the oil cooler line’s bolt to hold it down. Be careful with these bolts, they snap easily.

Relocating Coolant Reservoir
This was probably the most annoying part. I tried a few places, but beside the battery was the easiest. It’s a snug fit, but I plan to get a smaller battery (mine is dead anyway) to free up some space.

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
209 Posts
Thanks for the write-up! Did you remove the front end clip just to do the work easier, or were you working on something else?

You could always relocate your battery to the back now (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about the lingo...is front end clip the bumper cover and rebar? If so, yeah I removed it to have more room to work. I was preparing for the worst since I didn't know how much work would be involved making the brackets and if the pipes would need work too.

Yep, I'm considering moving the battery to the trunk to free up some space, but before taking on that job I want to make sure the car runs properly. Been having a few issues and now I finally have the time to work through them.

Your tail lamp failure light mod is still on the to do list too!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes front end clip would generally mean the whole front end of the car, but I used it here to mean just the nose of the car.

Cool you remember the lamp failure mod. No problems here with mine.

Since then I also bought the driving light harness mod from yotaconnectors.com so that I can turn my driving lights on independently from the headlights. It's a well done concept, and keeps the ignition turn-off intact so you don't leave them on and drain the battery. 30 years later I'm able to use them as daytime running lights without turning on the parking or headlights.

Also at dusk it's pretty cool to see the only the driving and parking lights.

·
90T
442 Posts
Nice write-up. I don't know if you would also consider doing a write-up on removing the front bumper cover. I've yet to find anything detailed on that.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I use to run the bottle in the exact same spot. looked wonky and got questioned at a tech inspection once (but was allowed to run). I found a smaller bottle, from a 90's tercel fits much better ahead of the rad. its rests on my intercooler support, which appears similar to yours. also has a metal bracket securing it as well

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Niceee, glad you guys approve!

Yes front end clip would generally mean the whole front end of the car, but I used it here to mean just the nose of the car.
Ah ok, the first time I saw a front clip was at a JDM importer and it included everything from around the firewall to the bumper. so that’s why I got confused.

Since then I also bought the driving light harness mod from yotaconnectors.com so that I can turn my driving lights on independently from the headlights.
Wow I can’t believe there is a harness to rewire the fogs! Rewiring the fogs was one of the first things I did when I got the car, but I did it the hard way by splicing. I think I followed a write up by Darin Moor (can’t believe I remember that).

Also at dusk it's pretty cool to see the only the driving and parking lights.
Agreed! Love how this looks.

I don't know if you would also consider doing a write-up on removing the front bumper cover.
I know what you mean, I was having trouble finding this as well. I meant to do a write-up for it, but got distracted (
). I haven’t put the bumper back on yet, so hopefully if the weather is good this week I can take some pictures and make a post.

I use to run the bottle in the exact same spot. looked wonky and got questioned at a tech inspection once (but was allowed to run). I found a smaller bottle, from a 90's tercel fits much better ahead of the rad. its rests on my intercooler support, which appears similar to yours. also has a metal bracket securing it as well
That’s great, thanks for the tip. I’ll check out a scrapyard when things start to reopen. I saw some aftermarket tanks online, but they seemed too pricey and was worried I’d lose the sensor. On the one you’re running, does it have the sensor for low coolant? (I really don't like calling it the birdcage light😬)

Is it actually safe to run the coolant tank in that location - so close to the rad? I do plan on putting in some kind of heat shield, maybe with something like this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Funny, our parts yards here in CA of all places :D never closed a day since the whole virus thing has been going on. I've managed to find some parts on at least 3 different MK3s since the lock down started. Fortunately 2 were in the closest yard to me, and the other was 40 miles away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky! the yards are open AND they have MK3s! I actually just checked and seems like there is one that's open around here, will give them a call tomorrow.

Did the MK3s have much on them?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The MK3s were a mixed bag.

There was an 86.5 NA/Auto burgundy unit pretty much intact. Trans and Diff were gone. No noticeable damage. Probably just sold or donated.
  • I picked up perfect side view mirrors off of it. I only needed replacement mirrors themselves, not the housing. Mine had what looked like hard water stains that would NOT come off. Joy!
  • Two pristine trim pieces for the triangle windows on the hatch. These are the pieces that sit on top of the triangle next to the hatch. Mine looked like the desert. No more!
  • I nabbed an extra TPS, IAS, and the 86.5-88 full length 1 piece grill.
  • Inside door lock switches
  • Trim piece for drivers side that runs along the rain gutter. Mine was okay but this one was better.
There was also at the same time a Black 91 Turbo. Trans, driveshaft and diff all gone. Really rough car. Total front end wax wreck.
  • I picked up the 6.5 speaker housings and the speaker wiring connector plugs for the doors.
  • Rear hatch struts that still worked
  • Spare CPS
  • Clipped a bunch of random connectors for spares
The last and most recent one was an 87 NA. No real body damage, but you could tell it had been sitting for a LONG time. Trans and diff gone. I realized laying under it how easy the fuel filter is to get to without the diff! lol
  • I got the gas tank off this one. It was already removed and just sitting there. No holes. Could use more cleaning. Complete with flange and seal for the fill door.
  • Exhaust hanger for near the resonator.
Here's a couple of pics of the last one, and the window sticker of the wrecked 91. You can see the gas tank.

I should start taking more pictures of what I find.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The problem out here in CA is that these cars will be on the lot for about 6 weeks max. After that, they clear the whole row and crush them. It's sad really. I almost grabbed the hoods off the blue and burgundy cars because they were both in great shape.

Here's the link to the blue supra. It's still there. Type supra in the search box.

·
Registered
781 Posts
the radiator is not in my car. the supports are turned backwards, Im doing a front seal and timing belt atm. if the rad was installed you would be able to see im way in front of it.

but heat is no issue for this part. think what it does---it receives super hot coolant --its entire life.

plus now its in front of the rad = outside of underhood temps and in cooler air flow. not that it really matters at all.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The problem out here in CA is that these cars will be on the lot for about 6 weeks max. After that, they clear the whole row and crush them. It's sad really. I almost grabbed the hoods off the blue and burgundy cars because they were both in great shape.

Here's the link to the blue supra. It's still there. Type supra in the search box.

is there a scrapped mk3 thread ? it would be awesome to place pics of these yard cars in there. like a final pic so to speak lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Dumeinao Wow, that was a nice haul! You got a lot of good stuff there. If I see any MK3s in the yards, I'd be getting as much as possible. Sometimes ebay prices are ridiculous for small parts - I'm looking for a seat belt guide and the cheapest was probably $100. 🤦‍♂️

It is pretty sad that the cars are crushed so soon. Those pics are pretty cool though - I did a quick search but didn't find a thread for scrapped MK3s. I'm with madisonMK3...would be cool to see a thread like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the radiator is not in my car. the supports are turned backwards, Im doing a front seal and timing belt atm. if the rad was installed you would be able to see im way in front of it.

but heat is no issue for this part. think what it does---it receives super hot coolant --its entire life.

plus now its in front of the rad = outside of underhood temps and in cooler air flow. not that it really matters at all.
Good to know, I think I'll keep this set up temporarily until I can find another tank like yours.

I was thinking along the same lines...it was meant to take heat, but I just wasn't sure if it would be a problem that the coolant wouldn't cool down as fast when relocated.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm all for starting a "Scrapped MK3" thread. I have even more pictures of 2 white 88s from December and January in Riverside and Rialto in the Inland Empire. In one pic you can see snow on the mountain in the distance. Let me find all my pics.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Nice write-up. I don't know if you would also consider doing a write-up on removing the front bumper cover. I've yet to find anything detailed on that.
I agree, this was a fantastic writeup. Reminds me of how the forums were from 10 years ago. I miss finding actually helpful information. Even things I already know how to do, it makes me smile to see someone put the effort in. :)

To the OP, my only recommendation that comes to mind would be to round off the corners of your brackets. Never much fun to be working on something and catch your hands or arms on a pointy end of a bracket... Easy to do with a reasonably sharp hand file with aluminum. If you have a belt sander that's bench mounted, it's even easier to round off brackets.

is there a scrapped mk3 thread ? it would be awesome to place pics of these yard cars in there. like a final pic so to speak lol
Man, what a morbid thought... On the one hand, I kinda like the idea. On the other, it really, truly saddens me. Ever had to say goodbye to a car you loved?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I understand there is a gap between how the forums were at one time and now. Hopefully we're headed in the right direction. It's probably just generational, both the cars and people.

As for morbid thought's on the scrap yard finds.... I understand. I think it's totally different if it's not YOUR car. When I'm out there, I'll sometimes just stop, stand quietly, and see what I feel about a car. (weird I know). To me, every car in the junk yard has a story, and obviously not just Supras. I like to try to imagine why they're there, how did it ever come to this?

But beyond that, I'd like to think that rescuing a few parts here and there is a worthwhile goal. The joy of finally finding something you've been missing for years (door side trim for me in an exact color and pattern in good shape) is gratifying. Reminds me of an archeological dig. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've owned my car since 2007 and although I only officially joined in 2016, I've read a lot - there definitely used to be a lot more threads like this. The problem I'm finding is the picture links die or there is a blurry thumbnail, so this is my motivation to keep doing posts like this.

Archeological dig...I like that and its so true! I agree - you can see a lot of history at the scrap yard.

te37, thanks for the tip! I really don't want to forget and get caught on a sharp corner. The problem was I only had a small round file, gotta pick up a bigger flat metal file.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts