Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so had an Idea, given that the rim is forged and the rear mounting area is solid, no gaps like OEM wheels,

What would happen if I used a wheel adapter, 5x114.3 to 5x100 (current rim size), as my drill guide, bolted on the wheel and drill in my drill press?

If the adapters are good, meaning round and true, wouldn't this work?

Constructive Opinions Please. :rockon:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Its doable. But its not just drilling a hole and call it a day. Make sure you have the right bits to create the conical seat for the appropriate lugs. But if it was me Id take it to a machine shop or a pro since your life is riding on it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Its doable. But its not just drilling a hole and call it a day. Make sure you have the right bits to create the conical seat for the appropriate lugs. But if it was me Id take it to a machine shop or a pro since your life is riding on it.
I do agree the "Precision" is the KEY factor.
My idea came from lack of confidence in local shops and the cost to ship back and forth isn't practical.

It is about a 5 step process as I see it- - (assume proper prep to simply explanation )

1. Bolt on Adapter to rim - Measure as best as you can and STOP with variations greater than certain tolerances
2. DrillPress back to front Lug size
3. DrillPress Front to back Lung Nut Size @ Proper Depth
4. DrillPress Nut Seat and/or seat nut collar
5. Sand and Polish - These are solid Forged Aluminum

Rims are BOLT Centric - Hub Centric rims would have too much variation

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Honestly this idea is so wrong.

There is much more then one wrong place to drill, and there is only one right place to drill. And im guessing you have more then one wheel? Multiply the odds by 4 = too risky.

Mistakes here are very easy. If you would loose too many shavings on one hole then the others, your rim will not be true and it will be unbalenced. Unbalanced wheels only makes your tires get worse. Not just your tires but your balls joints, bushings etc etc. I advise that you should never sell theses rims after or that you never go on any freeway or highway with theses rims.

Wheel shops can basicly do anything. They can even turn any rim into a deep dish. But they have advanced mechines to do so.

They make adapters like wheel stacer adapters for this reason. You might have to cut your studs shorter. Then replace them when you get bored of the wheels lol.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
As well as others lives. Take it to a machine shop that knows how to do this please.

·
7M Fanatic
3,273 Posts
I wouldn't do it on any of my cars. I think its a bad idea.
Honestly this idea is so wrong.
Wheel shops can basicly do anything. They can even turn any rim into a deep dish. But they have advanced mechines to do so.
I am with these guys.......
I have been a machinest for 40 years, and if anyone wonders into my shop asking for me to do it, I just laugh.......

To do this correctly, the wheels need to be put on a rotory table on a large milling machine,
individually indicated in, and dill & ream the holes, and cut the seats.
This would be COSTLY !
And besides that, most machineshops will turn you down because of the liability issues.

Trying to DRILL holes through an adaptor, at best will have a .020" tollerance,
and could be as much as twice that.

Fine for a low-buck dirt track car (you know the ones, with water pipe roll cages),
or a trailer queen show car.
No place on a true performance car.

Sell the rims, buy what you really need.

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
I cant believe i actually heard someone ask if it was possble to drill new holes in a rim?
Hey this isnt the same guy that was doing that after the AFM drilling mod a couple years back is it? LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had many wheels re drilled and run adapters for other cars. I prefer not to run adapters because they are just a pain and one more thing to go wrong. I would not try and re drill wheels yourself. Where you are I am positive you can find someone semi local that can carry out your request. A straight forward re drill like this wont cost a lot of money and you can be assured it will be done right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts