Supra Forums banner

Drilling and tapping a nipple in an IC line

785 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  98mkiv 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to do this for my wastegate. Can it be done on any of the pipes. Im worried about the pipe being to skinny and not being able to hold the threads. BTW i bought a 1/4 inch npt barb for the pipe.

#2 ·
don't do it there. You can take it off the line that is on the IC side of the butterfly.......... there is a line there that runs to the PS pump modulator. You can tee into that and see IC piping pressure. There is a smaller line from the same modulator that runs to the manifold side of the TB, you don't want that.

Do not try to drill and tap your IC piping, it won't hold the threads reliably.
-M

#4 · (Edited)
98mkiv said:
don't do it there. You can take it off the line that is on the IC side of the butterfly.......... there is a line there that runs to the PS pump modulator. You can tee into that and see IC piping pressure. There is a smaller line from the same modulator that runs to the manifold side of the TB, you don't want that.

-M[/QUOTE

I like this idea. Where is the ps pump modulator? It works just as good as tapping the ic pipe?

#5 ·
house_of_senate said:
98mkiv said:

-M[/QUOTE

I like this idea. Where is the ps pump modulator? It works just as good as tapping the ic pipe?

looking at the TB where the air comes in, from the trac motor side... on the bottom there are 3 nipples... two are for coolant (to heat the TB, believe it or not) and one is a pressure source for the PS pump modulator. The modulator is a round block on the PS pump and it has two lines. One runs to this side of the TB, the other runs to a nipple on the manifold side of the TB. You want to tee into the line that runs to the FMIC side of the TB, not the MANI side of the TB.

-M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.