Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. im going to be drilling my oil pan this week. i just went out and looked under the car to see what i was dealing with. was wondering what to do. i can only get at the lower oil pan and i think i have to drill the upper. so since im doing my project in stages and i was going to drill and tap it, and then cap the fitting in it, so i could still drive around for now. i was wondering how to do this. im not taking the manifold or anything off so i have to come in from the bottom and cant do it like dome people while its still on the car and they come in from the top. so let me know if there is anything i need to take off in order to do this or what i should do for this. please be as specific as you can since this is my first major project on a car!

·
wasting my life on SF
1,808 Posts
i hate to tell you the "bad news" but i think you will have to remove the exhaust to do it. you need to get to the upper pan to make sure you are above the oil level.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
right angle drill (electric) and a step bit. Then tap. Then flush (again and again) with brake cleaner and oil. Then change oil and you're done.

When you tap it, you can buy a pipe plug and just use the pipe plug till you're good to go. Any questions just give me a call and I'll help you out.

I included a drain plate with your kit so you don't need to tap the upper oil pan with the large NPT - you can just drill and tap the two small M8's and do them blind if you want.

I thought Todd was helping you out, has this changed?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
probably not. i didnt have enough funds to do the intall the othe day with him. so since i have a few more weeks i thought i would get alot of this stuff out of the way.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do you use the hole saw or something else? FYI: I just saw the GTO guys are using the Rotabroach to cut the hole. Supposedly, the bit has better flow of chip so less will enter the oil pan. Has anyone used this bit?

·
Lexotic Garage
1,470 Posts
Hey.... the pan is aluminum, it cuts very easy. just get the correct size bit and you are good to go. dip the bit in a little axle grease and drill slowly. when you see debris, that means its time to stop, shopvac out the shards and wipe off the bit, then repeat procedure by dabbing some axle grease on the tip and continuing on until u break thru.

The grease helps the aluminum shards stick to the bit and not fall into the pan.

I just did this with my motor on an engine stand. and nothing fell in. I inspected with a dental mirror and flashlight :)

good luck

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
^ I agree.....plenty of grease. I suggest a step drill (AKA unibit) it makes LARGE chips. Large chips are good, they don't get sucked into the strainer and are easy to flush.

Use that with a shop vacuum running while you drill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts