Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone has to pass a OBD-II emissions test? I know Supras are OBD-I, but hopefully some has had to deal with on an other car. My turbo IS300 is due for testing next month and I'm not quite sure it's going to pass.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Is it decat? If so, you will run into problems. Emissions tech will do a visual inspection and has to see the catalytic converter since it came with it from factory.

Mine is coming up too.. I just put the original down/mid pipe back for the test.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is it decat? If so, you will run into problems. Emissions tech will do a visual inspection and has to see the catalytic converter since it came with it from factory.

Mine is coming up too.. I just put the original down/mid pipe back for the test.
Does the factory cat bolt to a cat-back exhaust without any problems or special flanges? I have a 3" blitz nur spec+tanabe dp so my car will auto fail its upcoming e-test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the stock cat/exhaust was 2.75". Right now my options are to put the factory cat/exhaust back in for the test or pay $250-$300 to "get the test done". Another option for myself is to cut-up my dp and have a bolt-in cat as a family member manages a CNC/fabrication shop, but I'm not sure I want to hack up my dp/exhaust.......although it will provide peace of mind if I ever get pulled over by mto or regular police for that matter.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Does the factory cat bolt to a cat-back exhaust without any problems or special flanges? I have a 3" blitz nur spec+tanabe dp so my car will auto fail its upcoming e-test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the stock cat/exhaust was 2.75". Right now my options are to put the factory cat/exhaust back in for the test or pay $250-$300 to "get the test done". Another option for myself is to cut-up my dp and have a bolt-in cat as a family member manages a CNC/fabrication shop, but I'm not sure I want to hack up my dp/exhaust.......although it will provide peace of mind if I ever get pulled over by mto or regular police for that matter.
Yes. I had the factory down/mid pipe with a 3 inch cat back no problem. Flanges are not the same size but still seal once bolted on.

Regarding MTO, its quite a fine I heard if we are caught. You can weld the outside cover of the cat on the tanabe downpipe. That way it looks like it is there.. not sure how smart these guys are.

·
Registered
52 Posts
so you have an odb II car and the swap you did, is it a na-t? or a gte swap? if it a na-t you should be able to work around it. if its not then you got to find someone who can do it for you. I have a 98 gs300 with a 2jzgte vvti swap , etest is valid because i got a real homie that helped me to get it to pass.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so you have an odb II car and the swap you did, is it a na-t? or a gte swap? if it a na-t you should be able to work around it. if its not then you got to find someone who can do it for you. I have a 98 gs300 with a 2jzgte vvti swap , etest is valid because i got a real homie that helped me to get it to pass.
Yes it's on OBD-II car and it's NA-T now, not swapped. Will your homie be my homie? :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your check engine light is off, there are no codes and all the readiness monitors are set which can be viewed with a scanner the car will pass. I have etested dozens of cars and never seen an inspector fail a car on a visual test, or even done a proper visual inspection for that matter.

·
Registered
544 Posts
^^
The ministry does undercover audits. If you pass with a failed visual you will be fined.

I thought all cars needed photos taken and obd plugged in. So how can your homie help. All the guys that I knew that used to help are all too afraid now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
^^
The ministry does undercover audits. If you pass with a failed visual you will be fined.

I thought all cars needed photos taken and obd plugged in. So how can your homie help. All the guys that I knew that used to help are all too afraid now.
I do not perform etests, I'm simply saying that I noticed this on many etested cars. I would bet thousands of cars have passed like this and no fines. Never seen a photo taken and only cars 98+ require odb plug in.

Also there are many aftermarket companies that flash oem pcms and can fool the estest by commanding readiness to set/ command codes off and check engine light off. However am not aware of any available for the is300.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So I was talking to a mechanic today and he said that the 25 year and older exempt rule no longer applies to cars 1988 and newer.... So this would mean mkiv's would have to e-test every two years from now on like every other car. Can someone confirm this? This got me thinking of more long term. Has anyone heard of gesi cat converters? Apparently it was developed by a local mechanic/racer in Whitby ON with r&d coming from an engineer who works with massive smokestacks. I suppose I should be more law abiding and put in a cat...

Upon further investigation on the MTO website, it looks like we'll be e-testing for quite some time to come.

·
Registered
46 Posts
^ That statement is correct, !987 cars an below do not need etest ( 1988 do, the exempt rule has been capped). 1988-1997 will be 2 speed idle tail pipe emissions test and 1998-present is odb scan

·
Registered
253 Posts
Passed my e-test today : ) I ended up just swapping the stock downpipe/cats back in, then taking them out after. I guess we'll start the process again in two years...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Passed my e-test today : ) I ended up just swapping the stock downpipe/cats back in, then taking them out after. I guess we'll start the process again in two years...
Congrats! That's how I passed my emissions too.. But I'm only bpu. Wonder how the singled guys r doing it?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Tail-pipe idle test. They didn't even put my car on rollers or anything. Just make sure you find a facility that does the old obd-1 test. Also for what it matters, they didn't even do a visual test for the cat.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Congrats! That's how I passed my emissions too.. But I'm only bpu. Wonder how the singled guys r doing it?
They know a guy that knows a guy.. lol

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I'm due for a test in a couple months with my 93 JDM Supra TT RZ. First etest since I just moved to an etest region this year. I sold both catalytic converters years ago. I doubt it will pass... Can someone help me find a place that will "pass" me? Kitchener Ontario

1 - 17 of 17 Posts