Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drive shaft removal/Tranny removal

Im removing the transmission and i cant seem to get the driveshaft out. The crossmember is off and the next step on mkiv is to remove the drive shaft. All of the bolts are off aswell. Should i just drop the trans and will it come out with it?

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
Had the same problem last week with a customers car. All bolts were out and the rear nut was loosened and it still would not come out. I took a large screwdriver and a hammer and had to seperate the front of the driveshaft from the transmission (where the four nuts attatch). They were fused together, I bet that is your problem as well provided you removed and loosened everything you should have.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Which of the three bolts you took out at the diff?If you take the wrong one out it's harder to take out.Use i screw driver to pry from the diff and it will come off.

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All right guys, thanks for your quick replies. We are almost finished. Just the drive shaft and the bolts connecting the transmission are left. It went pretty easily, we didnt even have any airtools. Also, the hardest thing ive installed before this was HIDs. LOL. If you are hesitant about doing it, i say go for it, if you can work a wrench and follow directions than you are good. Again thanks for the replies.

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright guys, we still cant get the drive shaft off. We have the 4 nuts off that hold the drive shaft to the tranny. Should we knock the bolts through their holes, because then the drive shaft should just fall off, or are they supposed to not come off, maybe welded there or something. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The bolts on the trany stays their,they are press in.Do you have all the bolts from the diff off? You only need to remove three because the rubber stays with the driveshaft.

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jam98tt said:
The bolts on the trany stays their,they are press in.Do you have all the bolts from the diff off? You only need to remove three because the rubber stays with the driveshaft.
Thanks for the response! No we dont because it doesnt say that in the mkiv article, but should we remove those and then will we be able to pull it off. Im gonna try that now. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Oh i see.You need to remove the center bearing support ,two screws 14mm, then remove the three bolts from the diff 17mm,make sure you leave the three in so the rubber stays with the driveshaft.Make the position so you can line everything back up together.

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
jam98tt said:
Oh i see.You need to remove the center bearing support ,two screws 14mm, then remove the three bolts from the diff 17mm,make sure you leave the three in so the rubber stays with the driveshaft.Make the position so you can line everything back up together.
Ok, all of the supports are clear, the bearing support and the crossmember support, but the driveshaft wont budge, it wont move from the differiential or anywhere, should i try prying it off near the diff. Thanks again man for the help.

Edit: I took the wrong bolts off in the rear, im taking the ones from the diff off now and leaving the ones with the rubber on.

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now the driveshaft is off the differential but it is still on the trans, would it be alright to drop the trans witht the driveshaft still on it? We are working on the clutch bolts now. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You should be able just work it off or pull it off.But i guess so.Remember the two top PITA top bolts on the trany.

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jam98tt said:
You should be able just work it off or pull it off.But i guess so.Remember the two top PITA top bolts on the trany.
Dude, thanks so much for your help. The 6 bolts are off of the pressure plate, and i think i pulled it back far enough but im not sure. The tranny is the only thing left.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
no problem.Make sure to take the TB intercooler pipe off and the exhaust,it will be a lot easier to get to the top bolts.The engine will tilt down far enough to see them.

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have all 5 17mm bolts off of the trans and the 14mm lower ones off and this bitch is not coming off. We are puzzled. Any ideas. We have followed all of the instructions on mkiv.com.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Did you take the starter off?did you remove the two 17mm bolts from the top?You should have about 12 bolts all total.

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea guys, we wiggled the bitch and she came right out. Then we set it down on some cardboard and pulled her out. This has been a 2 day job for us but im just glad its out. Now time to call jeff and get this thing rebuilt. :) Thanks for all your guy's help and hopefully this will help some people in the future. Thanks again guys. Oh and one more thing, should i put something over the flywheel so it doesnt get dusty since it will be sitting for a while.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts