Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, so i just ordered most of the parts for the 6spd swap from curt! I decided not to order the drive shaft because i think i can get one made for less money. so my question is what are the benifits of a one piece driveshaft over the 2 piece stock drive shaft? does anyone know where i can get a drive shaft for less money? thanks

~Andrew

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
doesnt Curt sell the stock TT DS for like $525 tho?? to me thats kinda cheap no? could be wrong...

Geno~

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
Hey Drew,

get the oem driveshaft, you aren't getting any benefit from a 1 piece for your app and you will just get a bunch of work instead. I think the price will be a wash.

Nice to hear you're doing the 6 speed swap, that is awesome. How far are you from having all the parts?

Mark

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
mark, im following in the foot steps of a great man lol!
check you pm

i just have to oder the driveshaft, ecu and a clutch pressure plate. then ill be good to go.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've heard that the oem driveshaft is more prone to breaking if your car does wheel hopping or other such harsh vibrations.(burnouts.etc.):agreed: A one-piece is well worth the investment.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i would be getting the driveshaft made at a local shop. so all i would need is yoke for the trans and the mount for the rear diff. anyone know where i can get them?

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
and who's to say a one piece is stronger, IMO it's more likely to twist. If you have such severe wheel hop that your are breaking driveshafts, you're doing something really bad to your entire driveline.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
One piece on the MKIV will have vibration. Strongly recommend not to go that route. The 6 speed driveshaft's center u-joint has rubber bushings which greatly reduces vibration and shock.
I am currently working with a place that may be able to overhaul a stock 6 speed driveshaft. They will replace the stock piping with bigger and thicker steel and upgrade the end u-joint only. The issue is the replacing the center u-joint to be held with snap rings instead of the stock way, since you cannot weld the bigger pipe with that u-joint intact. Once I get more information I'll let you know.

·
Banned
752 Posts
The stock shaft is weak sauce. We twisted two of them in half, in 4 passes at the strip with M&H drag radials. I am working with a local fabricator to get stronger aftermarket ones made. My car is daily driven, so it will NOT vibrate, even if I have to bring it back 10 times.

Ken

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The stock shaft is weak sauce. We twisted two of them in half, in 4 passes at the strip with M&H drag radials. I am working with a local fabricator to get stronger aftermarket ones made. My car is daily driven, so it will NOT vibrate, even if I have to bring it back 10 times.

Ken
Nice! Keep us posted.

·
V8SLAYR
491 Posts
I have the one piece, i buy it from driveshaftshop and vibrate a lot i send it back and they fix it so is fine now.

·
Spencer
823 Posts
It's all in the ballancing. I have had a Driveshaftshop 1 piece chromoly DS in my car for almost 2 years with no vibration or problems. With a 1 piece you have to have joints on both ends to not have vibration.

Mike
What do you mean joints on both ends? Why do some people have problems with their shafts and some dont?

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
I had a GX470 driveshaft that I modded to fit my car. The telescopic union is 2 times larger and stronger than the OEM 2 piece. The front of the GX470 driveshaft is a 100% bolt on to the rear of the gertag. It even fits the step in the companion flange. The u-joint is user servicable and is also at least 2 times stronger. The local DS fab guys I've always used did the custom work for me. He took the back half of the auto TT DS and milled the end off. Slipped a 2.5" mild steel tube and welded it on the back half of the auto TT DS end he milled off. Then he milled off the OEM 3" tube of the front of the GX470 DS. Then he slipped a 3" tube onto the 2.5" tube of the rear auto TT DS end and the other end slipped onto the front of the 3" GX470 front end, welded it and balanced it. The only measurement I had to give him was the length from flange to flange of the getrag and the rear end. The best part if the entire DS is greaseable, servicable,balanced,stronger, lighter and vibration free. The speed of the car is limited to 215mph with a 3.27 JDM 6sp rear which I will never see myself going (critical DS speed : refer to Mark Williams Drivetrain for details). The DS still uses the rear Guibo so that is now the limiting factor. The other advantage I have is the telescopic union is so long that the same DS will work on either the 6 sp rear or the auto rear with the Getrag.

This has been tried on 3 different locals cars (JZA80 and JZZ30) and they are all running solid with this DS combo. The setup cost me around $350 for my DS machinist to make it for me and I have no regrets.

-Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts