Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if Im the only one with the drivers seat rock. I have taken the seat out a few times and cannot see anything out of adjustment. Could it be a bad motor. Its a slight movement that rocks forward and back.

Jorge

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
hmm....interesting. This is the first I've heard of such a problem.

well, if it were me, i would use that as an excuse to get rid of the heavy stock steats and get some light aftermarket ones! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would if I liked any aftermarket seat but I dont. I like the stock look. Can anybody help out. I dont even think Toyota would supply just the rails or do they..........Its time to call the Curt.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would check the rails that are attached to the seat, sounds like a loose bolt/

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
10 year thread revival, looks like i have the same issue for years. the electric motor moves my seat as it should, but the seat rocks slightly back and forth when driving and braking. I had new leather put on, and bolts tightened, but it still did not make a difference. I been looking at other problems that has come up with these electric seats, and it looks like the track gear gets worn out and needs replacing. I wonder if that is also the solution to our problem.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?645423-Driver-seat-repair#post11877850 shows the discussion and place to get the parts. I am ordering and going in head first on this myself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
10 year thread revival, looks like i have the same issue for years. the electric motor moves my seat as it should, but the seat rocks slightly back and forth when driving and braking. I had new leather put on, and bolts tightened, but it still did not make a difference. I been looking at other problems that has come up with these electric seats, and it looks like the track gear gets worn out and needs replacing. I wonder if that is also the solution to our problem.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?645423-Driver-seat-repair#post11877850 shows the discussion and place to get the parts. I am ordering and going in head first on this myself.
Please post an update when you have the parts and have completed the repair. This is high on my list of little annoying things to fix.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
I doubt it is the track gear. I had to replace mine but don't see how it could cause "rocking".
Does the whole seat (bottom and back) move, or just the back?
If the seat bottom rocks, it seems it could be either the bolts holding the brackets to the floor or the bolts holding the seats to the rails.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Some update on my endeavor. I have not gotten the parts yet and my discussions with several people that have some experience with these Toyota seats mentioned possibly loose white caps. That was not the case. I tightened and still rocking. I believe I have identified the issue. Take out the black plastic trim piece under the front where 2 Philips screws are attached and there are 2 rails with nuts at the end of them. When I rock the seat with my own weight, I can feel the exact same amount of give at the rail nut to motor bracket junction.

I attempted to tighten the nuts while using vice grip to hold the rail or motorized the seat to the end and tighten the nut to some success but I now ended up with the motor not responding anymore. I probably need the plastic gear now that it is assumed stripped from me torquing.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have taken the seat apart into oblivion and are at the point where the gears are stripped and out of the plastic housing. I was fearful my motor was broken, but it worked just fine when the broken plastic gear and pieces were removed. I will be getting several sets just in case i eff it up. Taking pictures as I piece it back together. If I succeed, I will write it up.

As for the slight give at the rail that causes the rocking, my suspicion is the allan wrench screws that hold the motor and the gears together might be loose, did not take much at all when I was loosening them. in order to get to the 2 allan screws on the motor side, remove the front plastic with 2 philips screws, to access the 1 allan screw on the seat belt buckle side, you need to take out the bottom seat cushion which are tightened with 4 bolts, 2 are obvious while the other 2 will only show when you turn the seat adjuster knob till the seat is at the bottom position. DONT TOUCH THE 10 and 12mm nuts at the end of the rails as that is how i stripped my plastic wheels. For those interested in fixing this, give those allan screws a try.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
update, problem solved... i know what causes the rocking in the seat. problem is the plastic housing for the gears get worn out and gets indented from the metal washers. this causes length discrepancy between the metal cylinder that turns the spindle and the plastic housings. when tightening the 2 nuts at the end, the washer will seat to the metal cylinder, while the plastic housing is worn down and will have more and more space for the seat to move back and forth.

I technically fixed the problem but i dont know if it is a long term fix. took tons of pictures but my back is sore and im tired now. if you guys want me to do a write up on the seat rocking fix or the electric seat no longer moving back and forth, let me know. ill do it if there is enough interest.

here is the thread on it.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?923225-HOW-TO-Driver-Seat-rocking-FIX

·
Registered
160 Posts
Got the same issue, Will be trying resolve this next weekend. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts