Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While bleeding the rear brakes I had the car on jack stands , after bleeding I started the car with no wheels to see if the brakes were working...I noticed the drivers side axle is wobbling near the hub..probably up and down an 1/8 inch or so it seems. I've searched because I thought this might be a common problem but haven't found an answer.

This sound like a wheel bearing, hub, or need an axle?

Thanks,
Blake

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help guys? My guess is its the axle but I don't want to buy one(kinda expensive) and that not be the problem.

Nobody else have this problem, my car is pretty much stock.

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
Do you understand that the brake disc can wobble quite freely with the wheel not bolted on? The wheel is basically what holds the disc hard up against the hub. To check if there is any play in the wheel bearing or ball joint or steering rack end, put the wheel back on and try to move the wheel top/bottom and front/back. If there is movement, its not likely to be the ball joint on the control arm, possibly the steering rack end, but most likely the wheel bearing.

Good luck :)

Gene

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
bolt the wheel on, grab it at 3 and 9 and wiggle. do the same at 6 and 12... any movement is a bad wheel bearing.

you could be a little more descriptive about what you see...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I understand the rotor moves freely without the wheel bolted on to hold it tight, sorry if I wasn't clear somehow, this is the rear drivers axle...so it couldn't be anything to do with the steering rack... while the car is jacked up my friend starts the car and gives it gas, on the inside of the hub is where it is shaking -where the axle goes through the hub at right around the rubber boot.

I can take a picture or record a video if someone needs a more clear description.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts