Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Crawlin like a Catapilla.
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night Im driving home and i hear some "rubbing" noise on my back brake.. I though o, i have to change the pads again..

Today I looked at the caliper and the brake pads are fine. So then we start looking at other things(rotor, parking brake, ect..) So heres what we did.

We took the rotor off and put into first gear and let the wheels roll in the air.. No Noise.

Then we put the rotor on and let it run again...no noise...

Then we out the caliper back on and let it roll, it did a couple revolutions and then it just grabbed the rotor very violently, like the whole car shook! We looked at the brake pads and they were sliding and grabbing the rotor for no reason?!

We checked the caliper and all the pieces are in the right place...

So my question is.... Is that caliper siezed or am i dealing with another problem.. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
just a long shot on the rear wheel bearing, but if you haven't checked already while you have the car off the ground wiggle the wheel from top and bottom and then right and left side to make sure there is no play at all.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
A suggestion of changing out the brake lines. I've seen a brake line break internally with no sign of breakage on the outside indicating a break. That will cause similar problems like you are having. Its very unlikely for the caliper to be frozen if the pistons slide freely in the caliper.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Flush your brake line, it could help determine if it's a brad brake line or not.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Sounds like a sticky caliper to me

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Sounds like the rotor is warped or the wheel bearings are bad/loose enough to give the rotor to much run-out. A sticking caliper is possible, but they usually drag all the time. Did you try squeezing the piston back into the caliper with a vise grip type C-clamp? Take the brake pads off before you try that though.

·
Crawlin like a Catapilla.
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Espeefan said:
Sounds like the rotor is warped or the wheel bearings are bad/loose enough to give the rotor to much run-out. A sticking caliper is possible, but they usually drag all the time. Did you try squeezing the piston back into the caliper with a vise grip type C-clamp? Take the brake pads off before you try that though.
Yeai tried that, after we compressed it it ran fine, until i hit the brake again and then it started doing the samething...

Also i checked the wheel bearing as well, there is no play either way...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
flush the brake lines and inspect the one ur havin a problem with. Check to make sure the rotor isnt warped, then rebuild the caliper, which is very cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts