Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody knows if there are any difference's between Auto drive shaft and manual?
I have 89 turbo 5 speed ,Driveshaft from 88 turbo auto will go on my whip or it wont?
thanks

·
Banned
676 Posts
need one from a 5-speed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
conundrum07 said:
Im fairly certian that the automatic driveshaft is shorter.
Yip.. it is... now i need to find a MANUAL one for the JZA70 :mad:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i called toyota, they told me 250$ just for hanger bearing.Sad :(
The reason why i asked about hanger bearing is that i seen one on ebay Driveshaft from 88 turbo auto with new hanger bearing for about 50$. So im going to try use that bearing for my 89
5 speed . hope its the same

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drjonez said:
i've got a R154 DS w/center bearing in good shape if anyone needs one....
Is that the one that i need? the one in a midle of the driveshaft with rober around? i think its called hanger bearing
what is r154 ds?

·
Super Moderator
10,138 Posts
:1poke:

Crazyone2044, The turbo mk3's 5-speed manual tranny is called the R154. Its the 'name' of the particular transaxle, like 7M-GTE is the 'name' of the turbo motor.

There's lots of acronyms in common usage, "DS" is driveshaft, "MHG" is metal head gasket, etc.

Do some searching around and learn the ropes a bit better, there's lots of folks around here that don't take well to seemingly stupid questions.

On another note, the "hanger bearing" is commonly referred to as the "carrier bearing" in most other discussions. The common consensus is that an aftermarket 1-piece driveshaft is the way to go to prevent dealing with more carrier bearing issues and for reducing rotational mass for increased performance.

Welcome to the board. Think twice, (or even three times) and post once. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts