Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, i did search.

my center-bearing is making sounds, so it looks like ill need to replace it or get a onepeice driveshaft in the near future.

a freind suggested to me to get my stock driveshaft cut apart and welded into a single peice unit. take out the center joint, weld a tube in, have it balanced. has anyone ever done this? is it safe? i need to save my pennies for a new clutch right now, so an aluminum 1-peice is out of the question on my budget. a local shop will mod the stocker for about 1 hours labor.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
A remanufactured... or new driveshaft will work just fine, no need for an expensive one piece.

IMO: As long as you're not launching the bejesus out of it, and HP lower that 500, you shouldn't need a one piece.

You can actually go to a good mechanic, or machine shop and have them "repair" your carrier bearing, or the universals and you'll be golden.

As for making you're own one piece, I wouldn't risk it, and personally I wouldn't trust MYSELF to make one, so I don't know about you or your friends. :lol:

BUT , if you have the resources I say give it a whirl... let us know how it worked out.

Good luck.,

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
Unfortunately most aftermarket 1 piece driveshafts (aluminum or CF) are priced over $400 these days. For that price you are much better off just replacing the center bearing with a new piece.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wouldnt be doin it myself, id be getting a driveshaft shop to do it for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts