Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has the part number for the driveshaft seal on a TT 6-speed? Isn't this the one that is prone to leak on Supras? Thanks.

·
4,417 Posts
krue92 said:
I was wondering if anybody has the part number for the driveshaft seal on a TT 6-speed? Isn't this the one that is prone to leak on Supras? Thanks.
No - you're thinking about the shift shaft seal... it goes around the shifter shaft at the top of the tranny and is about the size of a nickel.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe thats where its leaking from? Is that hard to change? I thought it was leaking from where the driveshaft goes into the tranny. Thanks.

·
4,417 Posts
krue92 said:
Maybe thats where its leaking from? Is that hard to change? I thought it was leaking from where the driveshaft goes into the tranny. Thanks.
Lots of people recommend simply sliding a new one over the old one.

The output shaft seal isn't that bad either - but you do need several special tools.... translation - take it to Toyota if there is someone you trust there.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I changed out all the seals on the tranny (3) and the rear main seal when I was changing out the clutch. All at one time.
Parts were inexpensive, labor is quite a bit unless you have access to a lift.
:)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have a slight leak only after driving the car and it seemed to happen after I replaced the clutch. Its hard to tell where it might be coming from, but I am guessing the rear one by the driveshaft. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
jack your car up and trace the leak. I still had a leak after changing out all the seals. Turns out to be the tranny drain bolt is leaking! I backed it out, put some plumbers' tape on it, stuck it back in and it stopped leaking. :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did jack it up and I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I guess I will have to double check it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
you should be able to look at where the oil spots are, if they are

- between the tranny&engine - Rear Mainseal/front tranny seal
- near the rear of tranny - shift shaft seal
- just a dab on the drain plug - drain plug needs some seal *like my issue*

Shine some light, you should be able to tell.

Oil is black if rear main seal, red if tranny seal

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I can tell its red, so I will have to check where its actually coming from. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts