Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive decided im gonna fly out and drive my new car back to Colorado from Atlanta. Problem is how am i gonna get temp tags? He has no lisence plates now. His DMV says they dont issue temp tags? Ours says they do? What do you guys recommend i do?

Chris

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
Pay for the car.. have him fed ex you the title.. get it registerd and insured.. fly out there with the reg. card and insurance card.. and put the plates on and drive it back

·
Registered
523 Posts
as long as you have a signed over title and maybe write up a
bill of sale, you should be fine. that's what i did.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
justingodfrey said:
as long as you have a signed over title and maybe write up a
bill of sale, you should be fine. that's what i did.
That should work.
There should be a grace period for registration and new tag.

·
Bad RSP supra
1,089 Posts
all you need is the title and bill of sale. if you get pulled over just show them that you just bought the car. and they will let you go that is what i did.

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
Use a plate from your current / past car and have a bill of sale.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
goldark said:
Use a plate from your current / past car and have a bill of sale.
i'd rather drive around with a title and bill of sale and no tag than to use a tag registered to another vehicle... that's more illegal. as long as you have title and bill of sale, copy of the cashier's check or similar then you should have no problem driving it w/o a tag. make sure you have proof of insurance as well, your insurance should cover you for 30 days, but they need to be aware of the fact you bought the vehicle and have the VIN in their system.

·
Bad RSP supra
1,089 Posts
yeah exactly what supratico said. if you get cought with other tags on then your in trouble. better off to get pulled over a couple times for not having tags on.

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
Take a tag of a car that you already own and its proof of insurance and registration and put that tag on the car for your return trip. Having that tag along with all of its support documentation in addition to the new bill of sale and title and you will be go to go! I have done this numerous times and have never had a problem. Another good tip is to get a copy of the previous owner’s registration and it will save you some cash when you go to register the car in your name. If for some reason you get pulled you will have a ton of paperwork to sift thought but after a short explanation the tag concern shouldn’t be an issue. Don’t do anything radical and you shouldn’t have a problem.

I have boarded an airplane with a carryon bag whit a tag and its parerwork a CB radio, radar detection, all required maps getting ready for a cross-country trip. I also carry some clean drawers and a toothbrush for any extended stops.

I have done this many times and if you are purchasing a nice car and plan your trip out properly you should actually have a good time.

Enjoy your quest!!!

David

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
When I flew from TX to FL to p/u my Supra I faced the same thing. I went to my local TX DMV and explained the situation. They have procedures for this and I got a 30 day tag from them to use on the way home. Each state is probably a little different, but that would be my first stop.

Good luck and congrats on the purchase.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
flyr3465 said:
wouldt u get tickets for this? no tags i mean?

flyr3465 said:
Have u ever been stopped? With another cars tags on?
^^ :wtf: ^^ why are you arguing with yourself? :freak: :p

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MKIV_Aspirant said:
When I flew from TX to FL to p/u my Supra I faced the same thing. I went to my local TX DMV and explained the situation. They have procedures for this and I got a 30 day tag from them to use on the way home. Each state is probably a little different, but that would be my first stop.

Good luck and congrats on the purchase.
Thanks bro, thats my plan. Im going over to my DMV and seeing what we can do today. My flight leavs on April 15th so i got alittle time.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got pulled over bringing mine home(in my sig) with my mom's tag on the car(white MR-2 Spyder) and the cop didn't even mention it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts