Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving in the rain, entering the freeway. I was on 2nd gear steping a little pressure till 4,000 rpm till suddenly my car fishtailed. (road was a lil bit bumpy) I quickly let go of gas and move the steering wheel a little bit.( to gain control ) I was scared that i was in the slow lane driving 60... I want to know do any of you guys usually drive in the rain because it seems to lose control easy. My traction control was off, i gotta get the fuse replaced. You guys drive in the rain with TC off? Would the TC help in the rain? I read many posts and people usually leaves the TC off. (6spd) I was wondering do you guys be losing control in the rain easily. If so, any advice to prevent it from fishtailing...etc? LMK. Anything would be appreciated.

·
Tom Henderson
1,237 Posts
go at an easy pace in the rain..dont step on the gas like u did in ur post... Just accelerate slow that will keep you from fishtailing..common sense if u ask me..

·
Registered
273 Posts
i always take my TC off in the rain. once you accelerate from a stop sign or light, when your back tires go over the corsswalk paint you TC kicks in and it feels like your dragging an elephant (and theres this stupid blinking yellow "trac" light thats rather annoying). but then again i drive an auto so its rather easy to ease out from a stop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AznSupraTT said:
go at an easy pace in the rain..dont step on the gas like u did in ur post... Just accelerate slow that will keep you from fishtailing..common sense if u ask me..
yes i know, common sense. Just wanted to be cautious. Like, driving in the rain 70mph... and the road is bumpy... and YOU'll never know the tires will slip after running over them and u'll go 360's in the freeway or fishtailing. Should be aware that it could happen. its just a scary feeling since of course.. a 320 hp and RWD should be aware that its easy to lose control in the rain. once it slips, it slips and its hard for the car to gain back in control. Any of you guys drive in the rain most of the time when it does rain? Any other people drive in the rain and what to be cautious at? LMK. Any response is greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
the stock trac system is horrible for 99% of MKIV users. Given that we know how to control our own cars and no when its about to break loose and can easily bring it back inline without any hestitaion. But from the sound of your post, you seem like a beginning driver, so you might actually benefit from having it kick in ever so often in the rain.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
With me, my tires will spin 1-3 gear in the rain. i just turn down my boost, and try my hardest to keep the boost from hitting on really strong. if i can slowly bring up the boost, traction isn't so much of a problem. but when it hits hard, like in second gear, say goodbye to those tires! just drive with a light and slowly moving right foot, and you should be ok. although spinning the tires in second, and third is kinda fun sometimes:p
BTW i have 235 tires with BRAND new sumitomo hrz 2's.

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
i have a little incar vid of me spiining the wheels at 100+ in the rain somewhere.

but if your uncomfortable in the rain definatly get your trac fuse replaced and be careful.

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
I leave my traction on in the rain.
Too many "make a turn and spin" stories

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Hell I drive in the rain all the time. :) I live in one of the most rainy spots in the world. :) If your an auto leave your trak "on" when driving it does help in the long run, helps to regain lost tracktion. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Racelogic makes a traction control system that works very well at controlling wheelspin while still allowing the car to accelerate as fast as conditions allow. I hated the TRAC system. The Racelogic is one of my favorite mods.

You can get it with cockpit adjustable option that allows you to set how much wheelspin you want to allow. There's a group buy going on right now.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115506

Mike

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
sleepy Supra said:
i was driving in the rain, entering the freeway. I was on 2nd gear steping a little pressure till 4,000 rpm till suddenly my car fishtailed. (road was a lil bit bumpy) I quickly let go of gas and move the steering wheel a little bit.( to gain control ) I was scared that i was in the slow lane driving 60... I want to know do any of you guys usually drive in the rain because it seems to lose control easy. My traction control was off, i gotta get the fuse replaced. You guys drive in the rain with TC off? Would the TC help in the rain? I read many posts and people usually leaves the TC off. (6spd) I was wondering do you guys be losing control in the rain easily. If so, any advice to prevent it from fishtailing...etc? LMK. Anything would be appreciated.
Make every move smoothly with no sudden jerks or sudden changes in speed or direction. Think "glide". Shift before 4000. Don't downshift to slow down.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
sleepy Supra said:
....steping a little pressure till 4,000 rpm....
Ive only been caught in the rain once in my mkiv, so i dunno about other people that drive in the rain more often, but i dont take my car to 4000 rpm in the rain, unless im TRYING to induce some wheel spin to play around with.... yeah im barely accelerating and shifting a lot sooner when im keeping it below 3k, but id rather be safe than sorry.

·
FUCK JDM
3,933 Posts
i try not to drive in the rain, but when i do get caught, i never go above 3000rpm, i feather the gas if i feel it slipping, and i have
TC disabled permantly... and of course dont make hard turns in the rain, glide into it instead.

·
Registered
885 Posts
yea fuckin supras are scary to drive in the rain. sometimes i just loose traction at a stop sign

I

·
0 Posts
sleepy Supra said:
If so, any advice to prevent it from fishtailing...etc? LMK. Anything would be appreciated.
Bridgetsone S-03 pole positions.

I drive in the rain ALL the freakin' time. No avoiding it in Portland.

I

·
0 Posts
TRD94JZA80TT said:
yea fuckin supras are scary to drive in the rain.
Not true if you know what you're doing and have the right tire. They handle very predictably.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
TRD94JZA80TT said:
yea fuckin supras are scary to drive in the rain. sometimes i just loose traction at a stop sign
Fuck that, I love my Supra in the rain. Can you say huuuuuuuge powerslides anyone?? :D:D:D

Maby thats why I've gone through three sets of rear tires this season ;)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
....You don't need traction control to be safe in the rain, just DRIVER control. Besides, if you scare another driver and make them swerve (easy to do), bad things can happen, regardless if you personally are in control. If at all possible, I just drive my truck anyway. :cool:

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
You need two things to drive well in the rain:

1) Halfway decent tires.

2) Better than average driving skills.

The lack of the second is the cause of the 'spun in a turn' stories in the vast majority of cases.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts