Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Auto NA with a recurring P1300 code, followed by P0500 code. I have spent considerable dollars and time (professionally and personally) trying to fix the problem without results. The mechanics tell me that cannot find anything wrong, clear the codes only for them to come back adrive or two later. Then after another drive or two they go away (this is not my daily driver and its garaged). I have replaced the igniter several times, checked harnesses, etc. and still have no luck.
The only thing that stands out in my mind is that I have a Micro 6008 alarm that was poorly installed by the previous owner. I found the alarm's power wire leads connected to the radio's hot (red/yellow) leads, which I corrected and still I get codes after under 30 miles of driving.

The Supra drives and shifts great, and gets the expected gas mileage it should. One of the shops worked on it for several days and were so baffled they did not charge me (older guy who love Supras! He even clean my throttle body). I have also changed the battery and had the system tested for power drains, etc. It starts fairy quickly most of the time, but when it seems to take longer (we're taking an extra second or two), I can pretty much predict another check engine light is coming. Other than the alarm, I also suspect the ignition switcher or the starter may be part of problem, but I may be reaching at straws. Lastly, both shops said they ran all the known tests to check for this or similar problems.

Any advice would be appreciated and please know that I have checked and tried the approaches outlined in the threads, but after buying another igniter I'm losing what little hair I have left...

Thanks!!

BD

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, to be clear, the alarm was completely re-wired properly? I would keep looking at wiring involving the alarm.

Check and verify all chassis grounds are in place.

Al
Thanks for replying,

I'm not completely sure the alarm was or is wired correctly. It appears that they put in an aftermarket radio and then put back the OEM stereo. It was then that I discovered that the alarm's RED: MAIN POWER CONNECTION and YELLOW: PRIMARY IGNITION POWER were being connected into the OEM radio harness.

I changed them, but still have issues. The alarm is also missing the VALET/OVERRIDE BUTTON.

Please note that the CAP words are from the installation document I attached.

What I really trying to determine is whether is the reason for the igniter code.

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you checked wiring and igniter then for the p1300 check your ecu. Disconnect negative battery terminal,remove ecu,open top cover and check if it smells like dead fish. If it does then your capacitors have been leaking for some time.Check the capacitors for leaks even if it does not smell. They tend to leak at that age and when they do theycause all kind of strange symptoms.I repaired a number of them. In case you repair it and the p0500 does not go away do the speed signal splice behind the cluster. There is a thread here about how to do it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you checked wiring and igniter then for the p1300 check your ecu. Disconnect negative battery terminal,remove ecu,open top cover and check if it smells like dead fish. If it does then your capacitors have been leaking for some time.Check the capacitors for leaks even if it does not smell. They tend to leak at that age and when they do theycause all kind of strange symptoms.I repaired a number of them. In case you repair it and the p0500 does not go away do the speed signal splice behind the cluster. There is a thread here about how to do it
Thank you for your reply!

Question (it's a dumb one) - what do the capacitors look like?

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,298 Posts
what do the capacitors look like?
The brown barrel-looking things:

And this is what they look like when they go bad:

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,298 Posts