Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I found an immaculate MK III that Im most likely going to buy. The only issue is the owner claims the turbo is going bad, exhaust smoke and oil in the intercooler. Though, he did not specify what color, I will find this out during me meetup tmmrw. Now in the scenario that the turbo is indeed bad, would it be safe to drive the car an hour back home, or should I get a buddy with a trailer and trailer it home?
(edit) To provide specifics, the owner replaced the oil pump, timing belt, water pump, head gasket (cometic), and ARP head studs. Pretty much a head rebuild.

Unless the cylinders are losing proper compression and pulling oil up from the case, it sounds like a turbo seal issue.
Much Thanks,
-J

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,027 Posts
You don’t have to follow my advice, but if you’re going to drive it an hour back home (if you purchase it), the owner has probably already driven it for a longer period of time than that with the current issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don’t have to follow my advice, but if you’re going to drive it an hour back home (if you purchase it), the owner has probably already driven it for a longer period of time than that with the current issues.
If the Turbo is bad, I'd really rather not let it disintegrate into my engine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
depends how bad the turbo is. i boosted for almost an entire summer with a turbo that had blue smoke under wot

as long as the compressor wheel is not contacting the housing it won't blow up

also, you can drive it so its not in boost (there is that option too)

but, imho its too many unknowns to drive an hour though and I would trailer it. just not a fan of buying a 30 year old car and chancing it with an hour drive---noting in particular about your situation that makes me think that. i just wouldn't risk an older unknown vehicle on the highway for an hour before I went through it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @madisonMK3 again. I'll get more info by tonight, Id love if you guys could check in again later when I have a lot more info.
Much Thanks,
-J

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,885 Posts
I don't trust anyone.
If I were you, and depending on what you're paying for the thing...
I'd do a leak-down test on the engine, look at the PCV, inspect the play on the turbo, among other things.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd roll the dice and drive it slowly. If you want reassurance do what Madisonmk3 said and check that the wheel isn't hitting the housing. An hour drive away is probably $100 or $200 tow fee.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I vote definitely don't drive it. I lost my first engine build that way. when the rear turbo seal blows completely it can lose a quart of oil faster than your rod bearings can spin. ofc oil in the intercooler suggests a leak on the compressor side, so i'm not sure if that is somehow better. Mine was likely leaking slowly, then suddenly blew completely and spun a bearing no more than 20 miles from when I checked the oil level. That's why i'd be afraid to drive it even if the rate of oil loss is currently not that fast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you could try to drive it and risk it.
Yes you could get it towed for a cost.

or
We could all fly there and help him push. We can rotate. Someone bring beer.
Hey, you know what, I think that’s a winner. However on a serious note I think the plan is to have it towed. It’s only around 300$ and dosent potentially cost my engine despite the wheel not touching the housing, potentially losing a whole lotta oil can be just as bad. Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate it a whole lot. MORE PICTURES TO COME!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey, you know what, I think that’s a winner. However on a serious note I think the plan is to have it towed. It’s only around 300$ and dosent potentially cost my engine despite the wheel not touching the housing, potentially losing a whole lotta oil can be just as bad. Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate it a whole lot. MORE PICTURES TO COME!!
Congrats on the buy, definitely post some pictures man. If you need end up needing a stock turbo mine is for sale :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey update, I would love all of your inputs. Besides a turbo rebuild, what are some general things to look at changing/working on once I own this car. Besides a new battery, a fluid change, etc. Much thanks!!!

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,885 Posts
I would build a boost leak tester, and really go over the entire intake track looking for vacuum / boost leaks.
I was also surprised how many little leaks my engine always had. Also, disable the clutch switch for starting. Save some where and tear on your crank and other components.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would build a boost leak tester, and really go over the entire intake track looking for vacuum / boost leaks.
I was also surprised how many little leaks my engine always had. Also, disable the clutch switch for starting. Save some where and tear on your crank and other components.
Why would a clutch safety switch make wear on my other components? I'm still relatively new to all of this.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Why would a clutch safety switch make wear on my other components? I'm still relatively new to all of this.
short ans : prevents crank walk

if you can start the car without pressing the clutch in, it means the crankshaft is floating and has no load. this is what you want on a cold start.

what you don't want is a heavy duty clutch pressure plate, and then holding it (clutch) in while starting. this is bc there is very little oil on the one singular thrust bearing. and of course the stiffer the clutch the more load on the thrust washer. once oil pressure is up then it gets over to the thrust washer and lubes it and your good to go

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks @madisonMK3 for the answer. I got the car trailered into an old garage. It’s got mice!!! Do you think it will be okay for a few days with those lil buggers in there until I can get it sprayed with repellent? I feel like it’s better than having a bumperless car out in the elements. Right?

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,885 Posts
Thanks @madisonMK3 for the answer. I got the car trailered into an old garage. It’s got mice!!! Do you think it will be okay for a few days with those lil buggers in there until I can get it sprayed with repellent? I feel like it’s better than having a bumperless car out in the elements. Right?
lol!
Regretting it yet?
Break out the peanut butter and traps. Haha.

·
Registered
576 Posts
my advise would be to pull the lower back seat. the way they designed the car its the hilton of mice hotels under there for sure (hidden cavity mice love).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
@madisonMK3 i did a compression check while I was up there checking the car out initially. I didn’t want to waste too much of their time so I only checked 3. It was 125 ish on 1 and 5 and 150ish on 6. I was told by the owner, and 3 other technicians with over 30 years of experience that it’s really nothing to be concerned about.

“I’d be happy with anything above 100 and since the car sat for 2 years those rings may have shrunk and once the car runs for a little while will most likely adjust positively over time with the increase of oil and expansion”
-my mentor

I’m near positive he dumbed it down for me to better understand, but is this something to seriously ruminate over or should I be happy, fix the turbo, and just keep an eye on my performance over the next few months and make sure the compression isn’t getting worse?

(Edit) there is also a chance the gentleman cranking during comp test forgot to push the throttle all the way down during the test resulting in some of them being low as well. I also didn’t do a complete wet comp test either. When I get an hour to take things apart I’ll do a more comprehensive test.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts