Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to rent a Black/Black 09 Corvette Convertible for the weekend in Newport/Orange County for the weekend. Wow, what a blast.

I don't know how many people have gotten the opportunity to drive one of these for extended periods of time, but I was impressed.

Driver Feel - 5/10 - not much road feel or communication to the driver. But you can tell that's exactly what it was meant to feel like. Interesting enough, on a side note, my wifes dislikes driving our 07 ML350, why? Cause she says it's "rough" - well its not when your in the passenger's seat, but because our little mercedes communicates the roads to the driver so well, she much prefers her IS350 cause it's "cush". Well - the corvette is definately a "cush" ride with little to no driver communication - but again that's what it was intended to be IMO. It was meant to be driven and enjoyed with the top down and no worries.

Power - 8/10 - Torque and HP was plentiful. It was always fun - even for the Auto. I knew I just had to squeeze the throttle at any point to get more power - at any RPM. It was just waiting to break loose, but unless I was angled it would hold the power. Needless to say I drove around quite a bit with the Traction Control OFF. Stop lights and take off's were real fun.

Interior/Exterior - 6/10 - Well this example of a Corvette was a poor one - it had 19k miles on it and was BEAT THE HELL UP. The Interior had nicks, and exterior was pitiful with so many scratches I had to make the guy note how many scratches and swirls were on the paint. The convertible top was easy and simple to use - almost too easy, and didn't feel like it fit in the boot too well. I felt like i had to lower it a couple times before it "fit", but that's the way it was - there was no problems. The seats were comfy and actually fairly supportive. The Heads Up display was cool. The stereo was nice with great sound. And the interior was rattle free for a 19k mile example - not too bad.

Overall - 8/10 - I never thought I would be a corvette guy - but this convertible corvette - while horribly maintained and a poor example - really got me interested in owning a corvette in general. It was just a overall fun and exhilerating ride at all times. I most most impressed when we came to a stop light on the Pacific Coast Hwy and lined up against a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and BMW 335 - Easy Take - Blew their doors off. Not so surprised with the 335, but the Cayenne I didn't know how it was going to turn out. Killed. From there I gained alot of respect from that little Corvette!

Great weekend, and one I will never forget.

· Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
how does 5/10, 6/10, 8/10 = 8/10 overall? i mean even if you thought it looked PERFECT, it still wouldnt be an 8 based on your review....
It was based on a curve - of course. :D Based on my review I guess it should have been 7/10, but I moved it up a bit cause of the power and fun factor. And the fact that the example I drove was poorly taken care of. It shoud have been a higher score. I really think that if you drove in a Corvette Convertible along the coast of California, despite all it's faults, you would still walk away a happy customer.

· Registered
2,161 Posts
You sure thats an '09, those wheels are from the 05-07 style, I think. Plus, 19k and a lot of abuse on a car that is about 7 months old?

They also revised the numb sterring in '08, but I am not sure how much of a difference it made.

· Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
12,986 Posts
This one?

http://www.bhrentacar.com/vehicle_info/114/0

They have had that one for a while IIRC, may not be an 09.

I kind of got the same feeling that ansky did from your review. Sounds like you just like a powerful convertible which is cool, but the failing grades for 2 of 3 areas is odd :lol:

Good right up though!

· Registered
978 Posts
Most people write C6's off just because there are so many on the road. I enjoyed my 08 C6 Z51 so much that I am probably going to pick another one up if I can find a job. They can run low 12's stock, handle well with the Z51 package, have an upgraded steering rack for 08, an upgraded transmission, an external oil cooler w/ the Z51 package(in manual), and are just a damn good performance value for the money. With the prices 08's are going for with low miles right now(mid/high 30's), it represents even more value than a Z06 to me at this point.

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
They are extremely fun cars, and I agree with your write-up in a lot of ways. I have found that owning them isn't as satisfying overall though (after comparing to high quality cars) but they never fail to put a big smile on your face! :bigthumb:

· Banned
7,225 Posts
Not surprised you enjoyed the car, it is a Vette:D. I'm partially biased but not ignorant. Sure the car has faults as does every car. I have an 01 and am considering either modding it to what I want when it is paid off or trading for a 2009 GS Vette. Nice write up.

-Alex

· Registered
3,745 Posts
i told you to get one of those for a dd/track car. dont forget good mpg and 7 year powertrain warranty (fwiw)

· Registered
3,294 Posts
Vettes are the best car for the money. I have been a closet vette fan for many years, and my appreciation for them has grown immensly in recent months.

If it was a limited production car, I'd probably view it as a dream machine!
Seeing them everyday is the only reason I don't own one!

Their engine is the best in the biz, IMO.

· Registered
3,010 Posts
Vettes are the best car for the money. I have been a closet vette fan for many years, and my appreciation for them has grown immensly in recent months.

If it was a limited production car, I'd probably view it as a dream machine!
Seeing them everyday is the only reason I don't own one!

Their engine is the best in the biz, IMO.
Uhh what?

Glad to see your opinion is based so much on other people.

· Registered
119 Posts
My ride isn't numb, the car just has to be setup right :bigthumb:

I know the steering isn't as tight as some cars like an EVO, but I feel the steering is just right for me.

· Registered
455 Posts
The mere fact that you said a rental vette with 19k on the clock was rattle free means something. You rent this 9 times out of 10 your going to abuse it. 19k on that clock is 70k on a normally owned vette. I love C6 Z06 there looks are amazing and in a year or so should be really cheap, off to ebay I go as we speak

· Registered
119 Posts
Z06's prices are just right and keep getting better by the minute.

It almost makes it tough to buy because once you step up and purchase the next week there will be a better deal out there.

· Registered
3,294 Posts
Uhh what?

Glad to see your opinion is based so much on other people.
Or maybe it could be that I just prefer to drive something a little more unique that you don't see every day. What a crazy fucking idea.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.