Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i test drove an 05 GT. Several people that I know own them and seem to like them, but for me, i was unimpressed. First, I had just come out of a C6 Z06, and when i tell you that the Chevys interior seemed first rate compared to the Fords, things are not good. The inside of the Gt is horrible. Looked worse than the inside of a Taurus. The materials were just horrible. Driving it is ok. The transmission shifts well, and power is Ok. I expected to be blown away by its power after reading some articles stating 126moh trap speeds, but it didnt feel any faster than my stock Murcielago all out, and in gear, say going 40mph in 2nd, the Murci feels like it has more get up and go, quicker. When you drive, the A-piller is also completely in your line of view. It drives nice, not to stiff, but the seats feel like you are sitting on a park bench. it really didnt leave me with much to say, other that inmo, the Z06 and Viper are a far better value. For 160K+ Ill take a Gallardo, especially an 06 Gallardo or SE anyday.

·
98 RSP TT
2,532 Posts
They dont have alot of headroom either. I was able to go for a ride in my neigbors and the roof hit my head. I wanted to yell "FUCK" but decided not too.

Id rather have a Lambo too.

·
2014 E63 S
2,517 Posts
I don't think it was designed to feel faster than a Murci. It competes more with the gallardo.

And I agree the interior is just horribly laid out in the car. They have a billion rattles in all that cheap plastic.

Still a sexy car in person. Just not for me either.

Viper coupe or Z06 much better.

·
1000hp thanks to SP
598 Posts
Awesome post! I raced and murdered a gt with my supra at about 25psi a couple years ago. As a z06 fan i am glad to hear it is designed better than a gt inside.

·
Banned
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the headroom is also pretty tight, and the way the doors open is a pain in the ass. Inmo, both the Z06 and Viper SRT Coupe are far better purchases for the dollar.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I think compairing a GT to a Murci is a little unfair to be honest. Now a Z06/Gallardo/Viper I can go along with.

I like the way the GT's interior is. It did not feel bad or cheap to me. Wish I could have driven it.

Here is what I think, and Allan, don't think I'm being disrespectful, but I think I have a point.

When an average guy like myself, or a lot of the others here, gets to sit in a car like the GT we think "Wow, this is so cool. Look at this, and that!" and so on. This is after we get out of our everyday cars. When someone, like yourself, has has been blessed with the ability to actually buy cars like this, gets in it and says "Well, the interior is not so good, this part is ok, but not as good as X car." this is after getting out of a car that goes for around a quarter mill. Perception in this case I think is what can kill something like this. A simple argument could be the Gallardo. Around the same price, so forth and so on. But I say look at the companies as a whole at that point. You look at Lambo and EXPECT that Gallardo to be what it is. The buisness side of the company knows this. You look at Ford and realize that, well, it's still Ford. I have NOTHING against Ford, and I think this being their first attempt in a long time to make a supercar is a pretty good one. Again, I think it's all the perception and experiences a person has had with cars in their life. For me to get out of my $9000 Eclipse (God, I hope that happens soon, it's so boring!) into a $160,000 GT would make me pretty damn happy. I hope you see my point.

Cliffs: Allan, you're a car spoiled bastard and I will both hate and evy you all of my life. :D

·
Banned
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RSXTypeS79 said:
I think compairing a GT to a Murci is a little unfair to be honest. Now a Z06/Gallardo/Viper I can go along with.

I like the way the GT's interior is. It did not feel bad or cheap to me. Wish I could have driven it.

Here is what I think, and Allan, don't think I'm being disrespectful, but I think I have a point.

When an average guy like myself, or a lot of the others here, gets to sit in a car like the GT we think "Wow, this is so cool. Look at this, and that!" and so on. This is after we get out of our everyday cars. When someone, like yourself, has has been blessed with the ability to actually buy cars like this, gets in it and says "Well, the interior is not so good, this part is ok, but not as good as X car." this is after getting out of a car that goes for around a quarter mill. Perception in this case I think is what can kill something like this. A simple argument could be the Gallardo. Around the same price, so forth and so on. But I say look at the companies as a whole at that point. You look at Lambo and EXPECT that Gallardo to be what it is. The buisness side of the company knows this. You look at Ford and realize that, well, it's still Ford. I have NOTHING against Ford, and I think this being their first attempt in a long time to make a supercar is a pretty good one. Again, I think it's all the perception and experiences a person has had with cars in their life. For me to get out of my $9000 Eclipse (God, I hope that happens soon, it's so boring!) into a $160,000 GT would make me pretty damn happy. I hope you see my point.
I agree with you. But my point is almost the same as yours, BUT on the other side of the spectrum. Just because Im used to higher priced cars, doesnt mean i dont appreciate some lesser priced cars. for example the new Z06 (sorry but I hated the old Z06) and various Viper models. The new Z06 for example at a sticker price of 71K, offers very similar performance, with most likley better handling and braking, with build quality on par or better than the Gt. The Viper Srt Coupe for example, inmo, is a better looking car than either the Z06 or Gt, but its performance is not quite as good. But these cars cost approx 1/2 the cost of the GT. The lambo gallardo may not be the fastest, (honestly the Gt does not feel any faster than the Gallardo SE 6 speed I drove) but even if it were faster, the Gallardos looks, build quality, sound, feel, exclusivity etc justify its price. The Gt falls into the Viper/Z06 catagory of cars inmo, and its 160K pricetag is not justifiable inmo. Everything about it just felt soo cheaply made. Even the feel of the steering wheel in the Gt, felt like something that came out of an old mustang parts bin.

As for the brakes, they seemed fine, but then again, i wasnt doing any real high speed repeated braking.

·
Registered
145 Posts
allan said:
Today i test drove an 05 GT. Several people that I know own them and seem to like them, but for me, i was unimpressed. First, I had just come out of a C6 Z06, and when i tell you that the Chevys interior seemed first rate compared to the Fords, things are not good. The inside of the Gt is horrible. Looked worse than the inside of a Taurus. The materials were just horrible. Driving it is ok. The transmission shifts well, and power is Ok. I expected to be blown away by its power after reading some articles stating 126moh trap speeds, but it didnt feel any faster than my stock Murcielago all out, and in gear, say going 40mph in 2nd, the Murci feels like it has more get up and go, quicker. When you drive, the A-piller is also completely in your line of view. It drives nice, not to stiff, but the seats feel like you are sitting on a park bench. it really didnt leave me with much to say, other that inmo, the Z06 and Viper are a far better value. For 160K+ Ill take a Gallardo, especially an 06 Gallardo or SE anyday.
Wow - that's really disappointing. I had thought that might be a nice car in a few years when values dropped to the 100K mark or so. I initially thought you might have expectations too high coming from a Murcielago, but from a C6 Z06? That car costs 1/2 of the GT - and still manages to drive better/feel better - and is a known track performer...

I read something recently that said Ford had huge quality issues with the GT. http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/new-glitch-for-ford-gt-oil-leaks-120510.php
Fuel tank, Control Arms, now Oil Leaks. And nine Technical Service Bulletins.

Do you take your Murci to the track at all (road racing, not drag strip)? Am curious as I've heard some Lambos have overheating issues.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
I just will never get over the fact that the GT has all these fucked up body gaps. And it's not a original design.

Down with the retro crap.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Allan,

Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear tested the Ford GT and was at awe at how easy it was to drive and how effortless and smooth it was to shift, comparing it to the ease of a Ford Focus, would you say it was easy to drive overall?

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Allan,

You really are a rich bastard! We all wish we could be like you. :bigthumb:

·
Banned
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
djo715 said:
Wow - that's really disappointing. I had thought that might be a nice car in a few years when values dropped to the 100K mark or so. I initially thought you might have expectations too high coming from a Murcielago, but from a C6 Z06? That car costs 1/2 of the GT - and still manages to drive better/feel better - and is a known track performer...

I read something recently that said Ford had huge quality issues with the GT. http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/new-glitch-for-ford-gt-oil-leaks-120510.php
Fuel tank, Control Arms, now Oil Leaks. And nine Technical Service Bulletins.

Do you take your Murci to the track at all (road racing, not drag strip)? Am curious as I've heard some Lambos have overheating issues.

Cheers,
-Darryl
Ive actually sold my Murcielago, in anticipation of the new Murcielago Lp640. I never did get a chance to track it, but I know several people who do, and have, with no issues whatsoever.

·
Banned
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
topscrt04 said:
Allan,

Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear tested the Ford GT and was at awe at how easy it was to drive and how effortless and smooth it was to shift, comparing it to the ease of a Ford Focus, would you say it was easy to drive overall?
It is easy to drive, easier than say a Diablo, but no easier than a Gallardo, and the Gallardo inmo has better outward visibility. in the Gt, you have the apillar in your face, and then the rear crossmember brace in your rearview.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
allan said:

That just made me laugh. :rofl:

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Disappointing. I was expecting some great review from a speed fan like you. It's weird that guys like Clax and Mike on lpower just praise the car so much.

Do you think with a chip, pulley and full exhaust, your opinion on the car would change a lot? Or was it that bad you just would not care about modding it?

-Olivier

1 - 20 of 78 Posts