Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Norwalk Raceway...at the Mitsubishi vs Subaru Event..the nitrous in the car apparently blew up and started spewing nitrous.

·
Registered
328 Posts
WoW.. they need more fire fighter personal on board, I feel bad for the driver.

·
Banned
977 Posts
:eek2: :eek2: That sux!! Total heart break there to watch your hard work and $$ just go up in smoke...

:(

G

·
Nice resolution on the pictures. Sucks for him. A lot of money and time gone. Hoosiers, nice tires. :bigthumb:

I don't think I'll ever want to run nitrous.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
I thought nitrous wasn't flammable. Maybe the oxygen content of the nitrous acted as an accelerant to a spark or fire already started?

Glad he is okay, but damn, he is so :urowned:

Insurance won't cover shit that happens at the race track without a special addition added to your premium. Yowch! :eek:

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
It's not, for nitorus to be flammable it has to be under pressure (as in a cylinder) and extreme temperatures to separate the the Oxygen off and that is what burns.

Still sucks :(

FYRARMS said:
I thought nitrous wasn't flammable. Maybe the oxygen content of the nitrous acted as an accelerant to a spark or fire already started?

Glad he is okay, but damn, he is so :urowned:

Insurance won't cover shit that happens at the race track without a special addition added to your premium. Yowch! :eek:

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Front bumper still looks good....

Seriously though...that's horrible....

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
T66Dawg said:
It's not, for nitorus to be flammable it has to be under pressure (as in a cylinder) and extreme temperatures to separate the the Oxygen off and that is what burns.
Thank you, Professor Guilly! :bigthumb:

·
Jessica Alba.. mmmmmm....
577 Posts
That track was just redone this past spring and it hasn't even opened yet... doh!

I guess I'll be choosing the right lane when I go there in a week or two

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Reminds me of just this past August when Jeff Hill's car caught on fire for a bit. Must be something with those 1G DSMs.

·
b/a/a/b/1
609 Posts
Nitrous DOESNT burn it adds oxygen to the combustion process allowing whatever fuel available to burn better....

Take a good look at the pics thats a ruptured fuel tank or busted fuelline that started the fire.. hell in the first two pics you can see the trail of gas burning.....

looks like around the end of page 2 the nitrous line develops a leak and the flames get bad again and then about halfway down page three is when the nitrous bottle lets go(you can see it blowing the hatch open....

either way that sucks SCAREY friggen site lucky the driver got out ok!! feel sorry for the poor lady who owned that car.......

Also a damned shame the track guys dont know how to use a fire extinguisher..... you can see in the pics where they are blowing it ONTO the fire instead of sweeping it along the base of the fire.... or that car could have been saved...

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Michael90T said:
Nitrous DOESNT burn it adds oxygen to the combustion process allowing whatever fuel available to burn better
Yes.
FYRARMS said:
the oxygen content of the nitrous acted as an accelerant to a spark or fire already started

1 - 20 of 112 Posts