Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Sound Performance Fuel Kit the other day but I never got any directions with it. When I searched the forums, I never really got any how to's either. Either way, being Audi Tech for almost 3 I thought for sure I could manage.

I spent about 2 hours making sure the pumps are installed as good as I can get them...but I took some pictures just to see what people think. If anyone has a dual pump setup that uses the stocker feed and a -8 secondary, please tell me if this is how you have yours in there.

Also, Larry told me to use the 2 stock 12+ and GRD wires as 12+ wires...question is, where in the harness to the pumps (outbound of the hanger) do you cut into to install the relays? Anyone know?

Pictures:

Justin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno, I didn't think the ones that came with the Walbo's were stainless but I could be wrong. The 2 large ones that hold the pumps together aren't, I guess I didn't give it much thought. I guess I should get a batter way of putting them together, but Larry just told me to just some band clamps.

Justin

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The clamps are fine.everything look ok.Use the factory trigger from the fuel ecu to one of the pumps.With that same wire use a relay to trigger the other pump.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jam98tt,

Do you have a step by step on relay wiring for twin pumps like this? I searched but I couldn't really find anything. I know normal relay wiring, but I just need to know where and what to tap. Thanks man!

Justin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to tap Pin #1 as my "trigger" wire to the relay's. I understood this as being the best wire to tap signal because it's from the ECU/Fuel pump Relay. Here is how I want it wired:

I have two pumps and two relays. I have both relays grounded at the chasis at the center rear of the back. I have 2 4g fused wires right off the battery as the constant 12+ feed to the relays. I have the positive wire of each relay sent to the positive wires of the pumps. The pumps have they're own ded. ground. The only thing I didn't do yet is the "trigger" from the relays. and going from what I have gathered here, the fuel pump ECU PIN #1 is the best wire to tap for the relay "trigger". Do I have this right?

Justin

·
Spencer
822 Posts
Fuel pump ECU is where you get the trigger, use a voltmeter to check which pin it is.. The ECU primes the pumps for about a couple secs right before you start the, so you should see 12v when you turn the key for a sec.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Larry,

I acutally figured it out tonight with a meter. BTW, I have a factory computer. If you plug in the fuel pump ECU and check pin #2 with a meter you will find that it will send a 2 second 12v signal to the pump as soon as the key is on, and then stop. Then, while cranking/running, it continues to send out the 12v signal till the engine is shut off. I wanted to have it this way instead of a switched power source because of I'd rather not have the pumps running at full bore till the engine is started/running and for saftey reasons. As long as the engine isn't running, wired this way, the pumps aren't.

Justin

·
Spencer
822 Posts
you got it right!

I learned that I have to wait for the pump to fully prime the system before starting the car or it wont start... You can hear the walbros priming the system, and I wait till there done to start it up or it will just stall out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts