Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
for shits and giggles, how much weight do you guys actually think you'd lose by replacing the hatch/quarter panel windows with lexan?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
not worth it IMO. This car is naturally heavy, it's going to be hard
to make it shed alot of weight.

at most, you might get 700lbs off of it; but make it look like shit.
light weight objects that you put on there to replace what you
remove also won't be worth it?

why? because 200lbs is good for about .100 ET; on a good day.
so 700lbs MIGHT get you .350+

but look at it from this point of view; that several thousand you
spent on CF hoods, lexan windows, sport lightweight seats and
all that other mess could have been redirected into performance
modifications. for the same few thousand dollars, you could have
attained a much better suspension, or .500 on your ET's

it's up to you to decide. I would go for a mixture of better
suspension and performance modifications. screw how heavy
the car is naturally, that can all be worked around.

· Registered
3,282 Posts
is it really worth it to go a half second faster in the quarter mile by making your supra unsafe? my opinion is that safety is always the top priority when building any vehicle. my brother raced a beretta for a few years at a local track (circle track racing) and even though they never went more than 70 he still made sure that his rollcage, seat, and harness were the best he could make. a few people managed to roll their cars, and lesser cages might've made them faster, but at what cost?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Nocheez said:
is it really worth it to go a half second faster in the quarter mile by making your supra unsafe? my opinion is that safety is always the top priority when building any vehicle. my brother raced a beretta for a few years at a local track (circle track racing) and even though they never went more than 70 he still made sure that his rollcage, seat, and harness were the best he could make. a few people managed to roll their cars, and lesser cages might've made them faster, but at what cost?
um....death?

6,984 Posts
skuzzah said:
why? because 200lbs is good for about .100 ET; on a good day.
so 700lbs MIGHT get you .350+

but look at it from this point of view; that several thousand you
spent on CF hoods, lexan windows, sport lightweight seats and
all that other mess could have been redirected into performance
modifications. for the same few thousand dollars, you could have
attained a much better suspension, or .500 on your ET's
Not only will your car accelerate faster but it will stop sooner and handle better.

· Registered
387 Posts
87tabshire said:
Carbon Fiber is an extremely heavy duty material, been playing with it for awhile now and willing to bet 100 dollars that no one can punch through it...Any takers???

im with youon this one
i think many people underestimate the stregth of this material.
this shit aint no joke!

ill raise the stakes to 500

;)

6,984 Posts
How thick? If its 1/8 of an inch or less you're on :D

· SUPRAF0RUMS TROLL
1,353 Posts
they once made some carbon fiber buses to prove a point... northrop made them and to test the strength of the carbon fiber they crashed a car into the bus... the bus was pretty much undamaged... why i know this... because my neighbor works at northrop.

· No One Ever Listens To Me
6,005 Posts
Re: Re: Duane.. We NEED CF Doors!!!

89Turbo said:
It would be a good thing. Anything that would get our cars' weight down to around 3000lb or less would be nice. Although you would be smart to get a full roll-cage with side impact protection before you put these on and they will probably cost around $1,000-$1,200 per side so only the high-$ MkIII owners would be able to afford them (not me).
ummmm i saw a thread for CF door PANELS...in the mkiv from duane.... and he was quoting about $1000 for those....i think the actual doors themselves would be a lot more then that....

just to make myself clear im not saying that i think thats too expensive for the product...duane does awesome work and his products are welll worth every penny.....but i just want you guys to get a better understanding on what it would probably cost if this were to become anything rendering a reality.....

FWIW: i think its a pipedream worthless idea and thats that lol....besides id rather be able to walk away from ahigh speed crashes rather then lose 100 lbs of weight .... :dunno:

· Banned
7,203 Posts
As far as doors > don't laugh as it IS in the plan for my car at least ;) As long as the structure integrity of the door sstays the impact will be fine. I will make them out of kevlar if anything for these particular parts. Although carbon would be fijne also.

You will not punch a hole nor break it with a 2 x 4 as I had hit it myself for testing. Good luck on that ;) The weigh savings are huge. Stock door weighs 79 ppounds with window but no door panel so lets say just an even 80. 160 pounds would be in the range of a tenth and almost 2. To most people it would make a difference. Some people have their Supras for diffreent reasons. Me? I want mine to look somewhat stock and have huge power and at the same time be lighter.

Hoods? They will shatter if made in carbon but are fine by most insurnace companies. The new BMW comes with a carbon hood from the factory. If in kevlar, the hood will stay intack.

Door panels on the other hand we will make for my car. Other parts just give me a call as most of you know my number or email.

Nothing is a stupid question or suggestion.

I am seriously wanting to make doors but is not in the schedule at ths time.

Duane

G

·
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
sounds cool duane... keep us updated on it!... what about CF fenders... ive heard of those on some other cars...

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.