Supra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,222 Posts
SupraBadBoyMKIII said:
im with youon this one
i think many people underestimate the stregth of this material.
this shit aint no joke!

ill raise the stakes to 500

;)
Ok i'm down for that. I'm using brass knuckles though...

I want that money yash.. No jokes..

· Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,222 Posts
CF is strong but I dont want 3500 lbs car slamming the side of my car it's not the fact of how strong but the fact it cracks and gives out where metal caves in and absorbs most of the blow by moving not just craking in 2.

I'm sorry I bought a heavy car because I dind't want to die.. If I wanted to do that I'd get a 1000CC bike :D

· Registered
88 Posts
I think you guys really missed the boat on the strength of carbon fiber. Keep in mind its used for primary structures of most of your "advanced fighters" in the Air Force. A Primary structure can include complete wings, tail fenestrons, and just about any major beam in the aircraft. Its uses are pretty much endless. The whole tail boom of the helocopter that I fly in is carbon fiber. Kevlar is used for secondary flight surfaces and interior cowlings and such. Keep in mind that most aircraft combine carbon fiber, or other composite material, with foam or honey comb to make a advanced composite. This material is super strong but very thin, and its easy to disbond the fiber from the internal layer. But you will not punch through it, thats absurd. Think about it, if 5-6g's on a load bearing surface wont break it in half how the hell are you gonna just punch a hole through it?

Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
well let me put it this way then.

say you're going down the highway, you lose control of your car
and skid into oncoming traffic in your mostly carbon fiber paneled
car.

now let's pretend you hit someone mostly headon. the object
of a car having a bunch of sheet metal is to ASORB THE IMPACT.
it's not a method of protection.

if you were to hit them in your CF car, the CF won't break, infact
it probably won't even dent up really well. it will reflect the
energy back at them, do twice as much damage to their car; and
MOST LIKELY kill them, regardless of what safety measures they
use.

the design behind cars is to asorb impact, not reflect it and make
it bullet proof. You don't see two tanks smashing together at
40mph; if you did, mostly likely several people in them would
die. regardless if they are buckled in or not. because nothing
asorbed the impact.

the ones who wern't buckled down would get smashed against
the closest hard object. and the ones who were would get
their collar bones, pelvic bones and ribs broken from the
seatbelts/straps or worse.

BrokenSupra, you said
they once made some carbon fiber buses to prove a point... northrop made them and to test the strength of the carbon fiber they crashed a car into the bus... the bus was pretty much undamaged... why i know this... because my neighbor works at northrop.
It's not the bus i'm worried about; what happened to the car?

Think about it. that bus sure as hell didnt' asorb the impact, the
car preety much bounced off of it. it's like slamming a car into
a very thick brick wall. the wall doesn't asorb the impact
of course; but the car sure as hell does. go watch crash test
videos.

it's not me i'm completly worried about when driving my car,
it's the people around me. if I was to drive a completly CF
bodypanel car around, knowing that some parts of it are illegal
(if applicable?) and slam into someone, killing them; what do
you think they would do? dismiss it as an accidental death?

hell no, you'd be finding your ass behind bars for second degree
manslaughter.

· Dissident
1,093 Posts
Originally posted by skuzzah
well let me put it this way then.

now let's pretend you hit someone mostly headon. the object
of a car having a bunch of sheet metal is to ASORB THE IMPACT.
it's not a method of protection.

Sort of. The object of the sheet metal (read: fenders, door skins, hood, etc) is to look pretty. The structural integrity of most body panels is just enough to keep them from collapsing. People survive impacts in saturns and fieros all the time.

use.

I'd like to see the physics behind that. We're talking about carbon fiber, not cruise missles. Besides, wide variety of build quality out there, most aftermarket junk would just shatter. Even with the theoretical indestructable carbon fiber car, the human body can withstand certain accelerations before the head falls off.

hell no, you'd be finding your ass behind bars for second degree
manslaughter.

For driving a CF car? I don't think so. Manufacturers are held to certain safety startards (if you're bored read the FMVSS), but individuals are not. Does anyone ever sue the logger because his truck weighs 15 megatons loaded? Never.

I lived in the 70s (briefly). Those oil tankers disguised as Buicks could kick the shit out of your hypothetical CF car. Yep, accidents were worse, but it wasn't the end of the world.

· 25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,348 Posts
Actually, CF race car tubs are designed to crush and abosorb impact energy at a very controlled rate.
The "cage" around the driver is designed not to crush or break at all. (Look at some very large crashes, the engine, susp and other parts all come off as they are designed to do, but the driver is protected by the CF tub.)
Quite a bit of design and CAD work goes into these cars and planes everyone is talking about.
I'd be worried about a prototype in a crash situation. If you make it too strong, it can hurt you, and it it's too weak, same deal.
If you want a lighter car, buy a different car. The MK3 Supra will not be a light weight car, and still retain all the nice features I keep it for.
Use the money to go faster with engine/turbo mods, and leave the CF body panels to race cars and companies with huge budgets who can afford to play with it.

· Banned
7,203 Posts
Some people are blowing this out of proportion :eek:

As I said early post > If the structure integrity of the part/door in this case is still there, everything will be fine 8)
If I make out of kevlar > kevlar is 5 times stronger than steel and 10 times strongher than alumimum on a weight basis. You can't punch or dent carbonfibre that easy. Why not try the kevlar then to?! LOL Can you punch through steel? 8)
I am not about to get into detail of how this all will work as some posts have stated some facts. Alot are good points and very little are bad points.

I was being paged :cool: so I am responding to say that don't put it passed me as I just may be making the doors. You don't have to buy them ;)

Anything else you know where to reach me :)

Duane

· Registered
387 Posts
skuzzah said:

use.
but wouldnt the impact make the hood break off the hinges and go thru the windshield?

sorry i find this tpic very intresting

btw lenny si correct bulletproof vests are made of kevlar.

for the time being im gonna find a nice pice of carbon fibre for eric to punch
:D

· JZA70 or go home!!
1,799 Posts
ya, where you think carbon comes from? charcol is carbon. and charcol burns good.

· Ghetto Rigger Supreme
1,262 Posts
MK3Brent said:
guy I know had a MR2... with a CF hood... and when some kids set it on fire.... the hood melted.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

BTW... Laminated glass > Carbon fiber... Ever see a metal hood go through a windshield? Doubt a CF one would.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
lenny said:
kevlar is the stuff they make bullet proof vest out of right?
Fun-Fact: Kevlar is also the choice drumhead material for free-floater style marching snare drums. Trust me, you can tighten the shit out of that stuff and doesn't break. It is a more loosely woven kevlar so is not hard like on car parts, etc. (until you tighten it, that is)...

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.