Supra Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

· ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
15,178 Posts
Süprå-Zãçh said:
Fun-Fact: Kevlar is also the choice drumhead material for free-floater style marching snare drums. Trust me, you can tighten the shit out of that stuff and doesn't break. It is a more loosely woven kevlar so is not hard like on car parts, etc. (until you tighten it, that is)...
Yeah!

Back when I was in this parade band, we changed one year from CS Remo heads... to the Remo MARCHING Ebony kevlar heads.... and instead of lasting us 3 months.... it lasted nearly the entire season... that's through hot and cold changes, and indoor out door too..

· 25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,348 Posts
Ok, here is the straight facts on hoods.
I train people to adjust car wrecks for a living, so I might know a few things about designed in crush zones, and parts on a car.
All hoods on newer cars are designed to fold up in the middle so they do not create a hazard to the passengers. As an industry standard, if the hood is compromised in a crush or fold point, it must be replaced. Any repairs to a hood crush zone can be fatal on the next impact. (You know if an insurance company is willing to pay for it, there has to be a reason :) They don't want to be sued for the death of some passenger who is beheaded by a repaired hood.)
If the hood does not have that design to fold up on impact, they will shear off the hinge pins, and cut right through the windshield glass and have beheaded occupants before. Look closely at your hinges and hood. They are designed to catch the hood even if the pins are sheared in two. Your stock hood has fold points on the underside frame that look like dimples, or holes in the metal.
If Duane and CFX does not have a designed in fold point in the hood, and retain the catch point on the hinge, his hood could kill you in an accident.
It will not matter if the hood is CF, Kevlar, Fiberglass or alluminum. Any flat non-folding hood will cut through the glass windshield like a knife into butter. (And you as the passenger are next in line.)
I think CF hoods are as cool as the next guy, but I would not run one unless it was securely fastened to the hinges, retained the stock catch design, and had some attempt at a built in fold point for the hood to break and fold up harmelessly outside my front windshield.

· helps you jump higher
3,319 Posts
ummm has your insureance company actually tested CF hoods or are you just assuming. When my friend was getting work done to his car they dropped some kids civic hood from 5 feet and it cracked, I am sure a full out 60 hit will shadder the CF before it went though the windshield.

· ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
15,178 Posts
that kid who's picture I posted: That was his second hood... the first one showed up at FedEx shattered in its box.. So I have no doubt in my mind that any "rather cheap" cf hood can shatter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
People must remember that any composite material (fiberglass, carbon fiber, Kevlar etc) depends both on the resin and the fibers used and also on how it is manufactured.

Pure carbon fiber is incredibly strong for the weight (so is glass by the way). But once you make parts out of it with resin, it loses most of it's impressive properties (resin is heavy and brittle).

"True" carbon fiber parts, like used on helicopters and race cars (real race cars), are cured under heat and pressure with very careful fiber orientation, fiber selection and layering. We're talking advanced computer analysis and manufacturing methods equivalent in sophistication to making space shuttles.

Aftermarket parts are made just like fiberglass parts, but with carbon fiber filaments (which you can buy at just about any fiberglass store now). They are not comparable in their final properties.

A bulletproof vest works by absorbing and spreading the impact point of the bullet, in the Kevlar fibers. I don't see how this has anything to do with car parts.

· Banned
7,203 Posts
As stated in my other post. Our latches retain the same latch desing as OEM. Once to pull the release it catches like OEM ;) It has thr incursion pins just like OEM to.

No point in getting in a big discussion over this. I have no hood pins in my car I don't need them. As a saftey standard in my business I do however recommend them anyway. I personally think there is a need. If the latch is like OEM why put pins in.

I could get in to alot of different points of what we do but I don't think it will help some peoples ideas or views on the hoods anyway.

The 3 is now out with a factory carbon hood and is legal. Anyone want to give up there car to crash test it for the safety standards?! ;)
Oh! I will need 10 cars. :D

Duane

· Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,780 Posts
Hey Duane, Did you get my PM?????
Kevin

That's all.......

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.