Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· BOOSTED IS300
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can still hear fluttering when i let off on the throttle. i am running two hks ssqv one on the hot side right near the compressor housing and one on the cold side right at the throttle body...

what can i do to fix this issue,?

· Speed limits = Guidelines
2,352 Posts
im having the same problem running one ssqv....but only in low boost conditions ill get flutter, under high boost the valve opens and i hear no flutter which is when it counts....when is it happening for you? do you hear the valves open at all?

i had to mess around with different vaccum sources/hoses to get the thing to work initially

· BOOSTED IS300
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are non adjustable....during high boost i hear it alittle , more so during low boost

· Registered
11,198 Posts
there is no adjustment screw on the newer ones. also, i dont thing you are hearing compressor surge but i would worry about it, especially at low boost levels, now if its happening at high boost, then id be concerned. my new SSQV is amazing, it blows off in a large puff then whistles as it gets lower.

· BOOSTED IS300
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx for the info everyone

· Registered
499 Posts
I have to disagree with a few of you guys. I have dual HKS ssqv's and i just recently started to get compressor surge no matter whether its at high or low boost i get surge. I used to have a faint whistle from the bov at low boost but that is now gone and i have flutter which i know is surge. I have quite a bit of surge at high boost aswell but my bov's still working then.

· No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,696 Posts

· Registered
1,278 Posts
I would be surprised if any of you are getting compressor surge. I have ssqbov's as well and they definitely flutter at low load, but I wouldn't call it surge. In fact both of mine are adjusted with the screws as far in as they go and are on the intake manifold side.

The fluttering (opening and closing of the valves) is a result of pressure waves bouncing between the throttle and turbo (or possibly intercooler, not sure). What gives everyone the impression that they are getting surge?

Daniel

· Registered
195 Posts
switch to one synapse bov.i have it on my car although im on stock twins it works perfect and i get absolutely no flutter, their design works perfect
Yea, if you guys haven't checked out the Synapse I'd recommend looking into it. It's a great design, doesn't sound as good as the HKS/Tial/whatever (sounds more like a stock BOV), but it does its job 10x better than most any out there. The reason you hear a lot of sound from most aftermarket bov's is beacuse they restrict the escaping air. Kind of like letting the air slowly out of a balloon.. if you let out a tiny bit you can hear it squeal (BOV is similar), but if you let it all out at once you can't hear it (besides the pop). You want a BOV that will evacuate boost from the intake tract as soon as possible after the throttle closes, otherwise youll get flutter/surge. With the synapse you dont really get any at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6KB5tAFYF8

No im not associated with these guys, just my humble opinion

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.